Chapter One ~

"Evangeline, take care of Aaliyah," my mom whispered as she took her dying breath. It was scary to think that my mom was dying right before my eyes. I couldn't save her. The doctor couldn't save her. Heck, he didn't even know what was wrong with her.

"I will, mom. Don't worry," I assured, keeping my composure as a future queen would have to.

"Your dad is going to have a hard time when I'm gone." She laughed a little, like she was remembering an old joke from when she was young. "You need stick by him."

I felt my whole body go numb and suddenly I was in a different place. There was blood everywhere and the hem of my nightgown soaked it in. "Dad, why?" I whispered as I looked at the body in front of me. The king's precious sword was through his own heart, betraying the person who made the blade. The tears left my eyes as I realized I had no one.

I felt hands grab at me and suddenly everything was overwhelming me. I tried to scream but I couldn't. Everything went black but I could still feel the ghosts and demons claw at me, begging me to join their shadow world, to suffer the same fates my parents did - death.

"Mom, dad!" I screamed, sitting upright. I looked around. "Oh, of course. It was just a nightmare." My room was dark, except for the blue ray from the moon coming through the window. My night gown was soaked with sweat and I took a deep breath.

"Your Highness?" A voice called and the door knob turned. A young man's face appeared, worry in his eyes. His brown hair was messy and I could hear the exhaustion in his voice. "Are you okay?"

I nodded and straightened up as I slipped out of my warm blankets. "I'm fine, Jeon. Just a nightmare." My feet touched the cold floor and I sucked in a breath.

The light came on and my guard was standing by the open door, looking me up and down to make sure I wasn't harmed. He was quiet as he shifted from one foot to the other. He's always awkward, until someone became a threat to his queen, it seemed.

"Jeon, you may go to your quarters and get some sleep," I said.

"Your Highness, are you sure?" he asked.

I walked over to the bathroom and turned on the faucet. "Yes, I'm sure. Once I'm awake, I'm awake." I splashed my face with some cold water to wake myself up a bit more. "But on your way down there, wake up Chef Kim and Hoseok."

The guard nodded and bowed. "As you wish." He left the room, shutting the door behind him.

I looked in the mirror as my nightmare whirled into my brain again. I frowned and walked away from the bathroom, my fist balled up as if I was looking for a fight. The lavender candle beside my bed caught my eye and I picked it up.

I hate lavender.

I threw it at the wall just as the door opened.

Hoseok's smile didn't waver. "Your Majesty, you called?" I looked over to see him in his uniform, crisp and clean. His expression made it seem like he had gotten a good night's sleep, and not just six hours. His brown hair was neat and combed back, making him seem like a rich brat instead of a mere servant. It was amazing how he could get ready in just the matter of a few minutes.

"Hoseok, what time is it?" I asked, glaring at the now broken candle on the floor. Just another thing Butler Park will have to clean up.

The servant took out his silver pocket watch and opened it up. "It's four in the morning, Your Majesty."

I sighed. "Go tell Chef Kim to fix a pot of tea and a few rolls."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

And I was alone once again.

---