The Heart of the Truest Believer

They travelled through the portal, as they all clutched to the ship they all dreaded what was to come. Eventually they came out of the portal and were sailing in Neverland waters. The ride then got a little bit smoother as they were no longer travelling against it. But Killian was still just as tense. That was when they saw it, everyone else couldn't take their eyes off it but Adelaide looked to Killian.

"Is that it?"

"Aye, Neverland." Killian said as Adelaide went to stand with her husband, knowing this wasn't going to be easy for him. Neither of them said anything as they watched Neverland approach.

"Why are we slowing down? In case you didn't know my son's life is in danger!"

"Oh I know, my hot-headed Queen. The plan is to bring us to the far side of the island, link up with the widest part of the river and then we sail right through take him by surprise. Oh the irony..."

"What irony?" Regina asked as Adelaide walked away from the conversation, she couldn't concentrate. Neither of them noticed.

"Oh, I spent more time than I care to remember trying to leave this place to kill Rumpelstiltskin to avenge my wife. And here I am, sailing right back into its heart with him as my guest of honour. I may have my wife back but this is not quite the happy ending I was hoping for."

"Greg Mendell said something funny to me: he said I'm a villain and that villains don't get happy endings. You believe that?"

"Oh God I hope not," Killian said not being able to help himself, "Or we've wasted our lives and Adelaide would never forgive me."

"Speaking of her, where is she?"

"I don't know," Killian said turning, noticing that his wife wasn't with him.

He then saw the door to her chambers open, he left the wheel and went in there. He saw her looking around at the room. She could remember him telling her that he had changed nothing and it was true. Her hair brush still lay exactly where she'd left it, she picked it up and traced the details on the back – remembering a life that she was forced to leave behind. A life that had been so amazing. She had wanted for nothing.

"It's all right love,"

"It's all the same, as though it never happened. As thought this is a bad dream and in a minute I'm going to wake up in a world where none of this ever happened."

"Would that make you happy?"

"I don't even know anymore," Adelaide said putting the hair brush down, she wanted that life. Of course she did, but her life now was full of such joy – full of family. "What happened to you, in Neverland. You've been dark and tense since we arrived."

"This is where I was my worst here. I was... a different person entirely."

"Well I'm not going to let you be him again, understood,"

"Yes ma'am," Killian said kissing her lightly, hating that they were both back here – he'd never wanted her to stand on Neverland's shore.

*

Captain Silver's men were out all night. They had docked and the crew had gone out, which had made Killian very happy. It meant that just for one night he didn't have to worry about Adelaide. Ever since they'd been thirteen he'd noticed the way the men looked at Adelaide, it hadn't bothered him until he'd over heard some of the crew talking. Since that day he and Liam had looked out for her – both of them protective of her, both for very different reasons. Late at night Adelaide would sneak into Killian's chambers. They would sit and play cards (they'd borrowed the cards from one of the crew, the only member of the crew who looked out for them) until the crew got back.