Chapter 12

Beorn

Daeran POV

When Gandalf said there was a house I was expecting something like the Dursley's, but nothing like this. Everything was huge, like a giant lived here.

Even the animals seemed bigger than they should be. "We will rest here for the night" I heard Gandalf say somewhere in the front of the group.

I was pretty excited about it, we would finally be able to sleep under a roof. Not that I didn't mind sleeping under the stars, a roof was just as nice. I walked away from Killi and over to where Legolas was setting up our bed rolls.

"Are you ok?" Legolas asked me. I nodded "It was scary watching the big bear chase us." "It was" Legolas nodded "But you were so brave." I smiled at the compliment "I try to be" "I know and you're doing a good job." Legolas then grabbed some more bread and handed it to me.

 "When your done I want you to go to bed, ok." "Yes" I couldn't agree more. The journey has been tiring since I am not used to traveling.

 Much less such long distances as we have been traveling. I sat on the bedroll Legolas had set up for himself as he got mine ready.

Soon the events of the day caught up to me and I let out a huge yawn. Slowly my eyes started to drift closed and before I knew it I was asleep.

I woke the next morning to sunlight. I moved my blanket and saw some of the other dwarves were asleep still. I also noticed that some of the bedrolls were empty. As I made my way forward I could hear voices. It sounded like Gandalf and Thorin.

 As I made my way around the corner I noticed a huge giant figure walking around and speaking to Thorin. How were they not frightened I was and I was hiding behind a corner. I then noticed Legolas sitting at the table I wanted to go to him, but I was to frightened.

Then a thought occurred to me. I made my way passed some of the still sleeping dwarves and found Bilbo still asleep.

I didn't want to wake him, but I wanted to go see Legolas. I kneeled down next to him and shook him lightly. "Bilbo" He didn't move. "Bilbo wake up" I then noticed his head start to turn in my direction his eyes were still foggy with sleep.

 "What is it?" He asked me curiously. "I, ugh I..." "It's ok you can tell me." Bilbo said kindly. "Can you h..elp me?" Bilbo sat up "What do you need help with?" Instead of explaining I took his hand in mine and helped him up.

I then started walking towards the place where the giant was. "Legolas" was all I said. He seemed to understand what I wanted and led me over to him. As we walked closer I hid behind Bilbo to afraid to walk next to him.

Once we reached Legolas's chair he looked down at me and reached down a hand. Bilbo helped me reach him and Legolas pulled me up to his lap.

Bilbo then left to occupy another chair. As I turned in Legolas's lap to get more comfortable the giant turned towards me. Like the dwarves he had a lot of hair. It was long and straight flowing from all around him.

I didn't notice I was staring until Gandalf spoke up. "Daeran this is Beorn our most generous host." Gandalf had said something about the bear being our host last night. "The bear?" I asked.

"Yes Beorn is a skin changer meaning he can be a bear or a man." "Cool" was all I said. The next thing I know my stomach starts growling. "Ha ha here you are elfling" beorn said as he handed me some food. "Thank you sir" I said as I started eating.

"Ok let's get back to business." Thorin said. "You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn." Beorn said to Thorin. Gandalf nodded "Before the Durin's day yes" Beorn nodded "You are running out of time"

 "Which is why we are going through Mirkwood" Gandalf replied. I didn't really listen to the conversation anymore. Soon the other dwarves had arrived and were all sitting around the large table. "We need horses" legolas said

 "It will help us journey quicker and put us farther from the orcs path" Beorn nodded "Then you will have them" "We plan to leave as early as possible" Thorin put in. "Then I will get the horses and ponies ready."

 With that Beorn left. "We are leaving now?" I asked to nobody in particular. Gandalf chuckled "are you ready to leave?" I shrugged I guess I wanted to. "We'll be there soon laddy" Balin said to me.

The dwarves conversed for a few minutes longer before Beorn came back saying the horses and ponies had been prepared. "Then we must be on our way, thank you for everything you have done for us." Thorin thanked.

 Once everyone had said there thanks I decided to as well since it would be rude for me not to. "Thank you Mr. Be..orn." The skinchanger looked to me and smiled

 "It was my pleasure little elfling." I smiled and followed the others out the door and over to one of the Horses. Once mounted we made our way to Mirkwood.

Thorin POV

We were so close to Mirkwood that I could see the trees in the distance. I wasn't to happy that we would be entering, However we had no choice.

I was brought out of my thoughts by Daeran "Is that it, is that Mirkwood?" The child exclaimed happily. "Yes little one that is Mirkwood" Legolas replied. I could see Balin, Bifur and some others start to tense up the closer we got. As the trees started looming over us Gandalf stopped his horse.

"We should continue on foot from here." Some of the dwarves gave Gandalf strange looks. "What about the ponies?" Ori asked.

 "Don't worry about them, release them and they will return to their master." Gandalf said facing Legolas. "If you could help us through" Legolas nodded and took to the front of the group.

I wasn't very comfortable with him leading us, but I didn't say anything as we followed close behind. We traveled for around 45 minutes before we were suddenly surrounded by elves bows raised. I pulled out my own sword along with the others and faced the elves ready to fight.

"Stop, they are no threat to us." Legolas said. I don't know what he said, but the elves lowered their bows which I was grateful for.

 "These dwarves come not to harm us, they are only passing through and I have granted them access." With those words Legolas led the way again. After some time we soon found ourselves at Mirkwood's front entrance.

I looked around the group and noticed Daeran looking around with wide eyes. Well I'm glad he enjoyed it he would be living here now. When I turned to look around I couldn't help but be a little impressed myself.

Instead of in Rivendell where it seemed it was built on the land Mirkwood seemed to grow with the forest itself. I would never admit that though.

We climbed some stairs and soon found ourselves in what I guess would be the thrown room, Though it wasn't really a room it was quite open. "Legolas, you have returned" Thranduil said.

Legolas bowed "It is good to be home father" Thranduil then turned to Gandalf then looked to us. "And I see you have brought some guests."

"Yes father they are only passing through." Thranduil looked at his son "I did not allow this, put them in the dungeons" I started to fight back when more elves started to surround us.

I was about to draw my sword and fight when it was then that Daeran spoke up. "But why, what did they do?" I saw Thranduil looked to Daeran, but Daeran didn't move. "They weren't given permission to pass through"

Daeran then looked to Legolas "but Legolas let them through, so they have permission." Thranduil's expression didn't change "Yes that might be the case, but he did not have my permission."

 "He shouldn't need it you should t..rust your son to be able to make good d..ecisions." Nobody moved wondering that the King would do.

 What he did next was surprised everyone. "Yes, I guess you are correct, if my son thinks this is what should be done I should listen to him." Daeran nodded.

 "Very well, let them pass through" The elves let us go and started lead us out the room. I gave Daeran one last glance "Thank you Daeran, I will miss you" all the other dwarves gave Daeran their goodbyes as Daeran ran over to us and gave us each a big hug, tears forming in his eyes.

 Next thing I know we were leaving and on our way to the Lonely Mountain.