22: Women

Song: This Woman's Work

Artist: Greg Laswell

Women

Gabriella and I were currently in the company car. None of us have spoken after we left the café. We're too shocked to tell each other anything. She was right; I did like Jacob Smith. Unlike the rest of them as well as my family, Jacob Smith was kind and very humorous. Something told me not to get on his bad side. He'd always look at me when Gabriella spoke as if he was expecting a flaw.

My fists tightened around the steering wheel as I concentrated on the road. I couldn't with Gabriella fiddling with a gum wrapper, and I knew she tried to get it open as soon as possible with her quick hand movements.

"That's annoying in a situation like this," I spoke up. Her head snapped towards me, and I could feel her eyes burning through my skull as I squinted.

"I-I don't think you heard right, Mr. Clarkson." Her face contorted as I stopped at a red light. I turned to see that she finally put the watermelon strip of gum in her mouth. Once she chewed enough times, she spoke. "Your father was already in Cairo."

"I'm aware, but maybe they wanted to meet up for a business request or..." I trailed off, but from the corner of my eye, I saw the light turn green. Gabriella rubbed her forehead as I continued driving.

"And the saddest thing is, that nobody knew." She said after a while. My eyes flickered from the road to her; she stared out the window as she spoke. "I wonder who she last talked to before..."

I gritted my teeth and rested my palm against the wheel. I reached over her hand and slipped my fingers between hers. She let out a sigh and gripped my fingers. She pinched the bridge of her nose with her other hand and shut her eyes.

"What if...your mother and my fathe—"

"NO!" she abruptly cut me off as her grip tightened. I could feel her stare on me as I drove. I was just a child back then, so I was unaware of my father's actions. Gabriella was just five-years-old, so it was very vague.

She placed her other hand on top of mine as I continued to drive. Silence took over us and I could tell that she didn't want to speak with the pops of her gum. We arrived back at the apartments ten minutes later.

We didn't say a word to each other on the way up in the elevator. Once we reached our floor, we walked out and sauntered side by side. I couldn't take the silence anymore with just the heels of her boots sinking into the carpet as she walked was audible.

I turned to Gabriella, causing her to stop. She looked up at me, and I noticed her expression dulled. I stepped forward and forced a smile. Her jaw tightened as she eyed me up and down suspiciously.

"My father had mistresses a few years ago...I don't know what happened fifteen years ago, but I hope your mother wasn't one of them," I said calmly. She licked her bottom lip then slowly nodded.

"Well only one way to find out," she whispered as her hazel eyes met mine. I blinked rapidly then tilted my head.

"You could ask your grandmother; my father is getting suspicious and will probably end up telling your dad." I pointed out.

"Adam she's old, she wouldn't remember what happened fifteen years ago." Gabriella scolded then continued to walk. I stuffed my hands in my pockets as I watched her walk towards her door. She pulled out her card then gripped onto the door handle.

"Yet she remembers what Henry looked like when he was a baby, and I reminded her of my father when he was young," I said as she froze.

Her expression hardened when she turned to me. We locked eyes as she slid the card causing the door to unlock. She pushed it open, gave me one last nod then walked inside.