Chapter 16: The Training

I stared at the door as the women spoke to the Tributes and I, explaining rules of the training center to us. 

Come on, Ni. Please walk in. 

"No fighting. You'll have plenty of time for that in the arena." 

Come back, Ni! I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. 

"Before I dismiss you, where's our male tribute for District 12?" 

I gnawed on my thumbnail and tapped my foot as I watched the door. Anytime now, Ni. 

"Chris," the women said. I pulled my attention from the door to her, hardly noticing that she called me by Raven's nickname. 

"Where's your district mate?" She asked. 

I shrugged. "I was wondering the same thing." 

"Is he aware of the consequences of going M.I.A. three days before we're supposed to be going into the arena?" 

"I imagine they're not very good," I whispered, my voice incapable of getting any louder. Would they kill him for something like this? 

"You're right. They're not," a voice said behind me. A chill ran down my spine the moment I heard it. I didn't have to turn around to know that it was Luke. He stepped up next to me, putting a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged him off, disgusted by his touch. The tribute next to me snickered and mumurred something about not being a daddy's girl. 

"Don't worry. I know where Ni is. I've given him a few moments to himself. He'll be in within the next few minutes. You're free to start," Luke stated. With that, the tributes dispersed to different stations. 

"I heard about your outburst to Ni. That wasn't very nice," Luke said to me. 

I laughed. "You know what else isn't very nice? That one time you hired someone to kill my dad, before I was born. Remember that? Or that one time where that same person you hired to kill my dad started torturing my mom, giving her scars that lasted her entire life." 

"I got Blaze killed for that," Luke interrupted. 

I put up my hand. "I'm not finished. You killed Tetrick. That wasn't very nice. Then you killed President Snow. Then you dropped a bomb on District 12, killing many people, including Mom, who you claimed to be in love with." 

Luke clenched his jaw, the veins in his neck bulging out. I smiled at him innocently and was about to turn around when Ni suddenly appeared from behind Luke, putting his hand on Luke's shoulder. 

"Thank you, President Corwin, for being so understanding. It won't happen again," Ni said to Luke as if I wasn't standing there. 

"Call me Luke. And it's no problem. Just don't make a habit of it," Luke smiled and hit Ni playfully in the shoulder, like a dad messing around with his son. 

"I won't. Thank you so much." Luke walked away, heading up to the observation room where the rest of the Hunger Games officials are. 

"Ni..." I said, taking a step toward him. "I'm so sorry." 

"Save it, Crystal," Ni replied. Before I could speak again, he walked away, going to the nearest training station. 

"Don't follow him," said a voice from behind me. Ivan. "Give him time. I'm sure everything will work itself out." 

"I don't have time," I replied, turning to look at him. Grey stood beside him. "Three days from now, we'll be in the arena. Then any of us could die at any moment. I'm too afraid that one of us is going to die before I can clear it up."