The Bite

Before I could even open my eyes, I could feel my head throbbing. My jaw and my neck were tight, and it was all I could do to breathe. My hands went to my neck in a panic, and I winced at the pain of my own touch. It hadn't been a dream.

My eyes flew open, and I was staring up at a white satin canopy above a bed. The room was large, and contained a fire place across from a large door with an iron handle. I sat up, barely able to breathe without pain.

My clothes had been changed. I was wearing a soft white gown, the material was thin. I could see goosebumps forming on my arms the room was freezing.

I quietly ran to the door, and pushed. Nothing. I pulled the round iron handle, but there was no budge in the door. The room had no windows, it was merely smooth Stone surrounding all sides. A desk sat in the corner, with a cup full of quills. Where was I?

It hadn't been a dream, my neck was clear of that. Nathaniel had instructed me to cut myself, and then nearly killed me. But I was still alive, and I was here.

My train of thought was broken by the creaking of the large door. A man wearing a red coat and black trousers carried in with him a bowl and cup. He set them down on the floor without looking up at me.

I eyed him wearily, careful not to move. He paid no attention and left as soon as he came.

I tried the door again, and still nothing. He must have locked it. The bowl contained a piece of bread with an apple that was cut into pieces, and the cup was a clear liquid. I smelled it, and the lack of a pungent odor led me to believe it was merely water.

Would it be poison? It would have been pointless. Why not kill me with he had the chance? Did Nathaniel like games? He mentioned something about a Thaddeus. Surely he meant someone other than the king. And what of rejection?

The strange memory plagued my mind as I bit into the apple. I had not realized how hungry I was, and I scarfed down the apple, bread, and water in minutes.

With no windows, I had no way of knowing what time of day it was. I was lost, yet somehow not scared. He'd had a chance to kill me already, and obviously wanted me alive- or so I hoped.

I heard a click come from the door again, and I curled up against the back of the bed. My heart sank as Nathaniel strode in, shutting the door behind him. His eyes darted to me, and before I could blink he was on the bed, staring at me.
I screamed, and his hand cupped my mouth.

"Shh. Normally I would say this won't hurt, and I would make you feel pleasure. But for you, I fear it will only be pain." His silver eyes stared softly into mine, and in a flash they turned as black as the soot from the fireplace.

"I'm glad you ate." His mouth spoke, but his voice sounded deeper. His hand remained on my mouth, and the other grabbed my hands and held them against my body. I couldn't move.

He forced my head to turn, and he moved towards my neck. I felt his tongue lick me, and I felt sick.

Suddenly, I screamed through his hand as I felt like a knife had stabbed my neck. He was biting me? I tried to fight him. I twisted, kicked, but he didn't move. I could feel the life leaving my body. My limbs went numb, and I just wanted him to stop.

Nathaniel pulled back, releasing me from his grasp. I curled into a ball, laying on my side. I began to cry as my body shook.

"Mary was right. You are a virgin." His voice was soft. Nathaniel sat next to me. I felt his hand stroking my back, soothing me. All I felt was loathing for this monster.

"I'm so sorry Ayla. It didn't need to be this way, but you can't be compelled, and you're too beautiful to pass up." He laughed.

"You're a demon." I said quietly. He laughed again.

"I suppose it seems that way. If you were mine, it may seem that way. I think you're lucky he likes you." There was a dark tone to his voice. I felt his weight shift off the bed. The door clicked, and I was alone.

I tried to move, but I was so weak. My hand went to my neck, and I winced. I could feel my neck swollen, and I could see a blood stain on the sleeve and bosom of my gown. I cried, trying to imagine this all as a dreaded nightmare.

I lay down there for what seemed like hours. I couldn't sleep, I was too afraid. Soon, the exhaustion overcame me, and I drifted into a deep surrender.