Chapter One

(Adolpha Above)

Thud! Thud! Thud!

I sat up in bed hearing a pounding sound upon the wooden siding on my house. I held my breath and prepared for an attack, but only I only listened to the rain dumping on the already muddy ground outside. Thinking it was my imagination, I laid down once more and closed my eyes. But then I heard it again.

Thud! Thud! Thud!

I slowly rose up in my bed once more and reached for my dagger in case it was a threat.

"It is rude to leave a friend in the rain!" I heard a familiar voice yell.

I dropped my weapon and dashed to my door grabbing my cloak along the way to pull over my nightgown.

"Gandalf! Amin Hiraetha! I thought it was my imagination!" I said opening the door and ushering the wet wizard inside.

"Oh, it is quite alright, Adolpha. I'm sorry I'm disturbing you at this late hour," he said hanging his hat upon the coat rack.

It was at this moment I saw his wounds. "Gandalf," I muttered, staring at the deep cuts and bruises around his face. "What happened to you?"

He sighed. "I had a slight mishap," he replied in typical Gandalf style, warming his hands by the dying fire.

I shook my head. "As always, you don't give the situation much credit. What really happened?" I inquired, throwing a log into the fireplace, sending up sparks.

Gandalf whipped out his pipe, stuffing it with some pipe-weed, and lit it. "Saruman has betrayed us," he said simply.

My hands flew up to my mouth. "How could this be? We trusted him!"

"I know. He was afraid, though. He did what he thought he had to do to survive," Gandalf said simply, the smoke from his pipe swirling around his head. "Fear is a powerful thing."

I sighed. "You wish to ask me something," I replied. "And don't try to deny it, I know you too well." I felt a small smile creep up on my face as I said that.

Gandalf leaned back in his chair. "I am afraid that you are correct," he muttered. "I need to go to the house of Elrond. I was supposed to meet two hobbits back in Bree, but I with Sauroman. News has reached me that they are now in Rivendell. I need to get there as soon as possible."

"And why did you send these two hobbits to Bree?" I asked.

"One carries the Ring of Sauron," Gandalf replied solemnly.

I straightened, a cold shiver running up my spine. A spark caused by the fire caused me to jump in my seat before I then spoke. "That's impossible," I muttered.

"But it isn't," he replied warily.

I was breathing heavy now, the information weighing on me. "And you gave this burden to two hobbits?" I asked, horrified.

"The ring is safe for now."

"For how long, though?"

"That I do not know," Gandalf replied.

I nodded solemnly. "You may use one of my horses, but only after you rest. You're still hurt, remember?"

Gandalf nodded but opened his mouth to speak. "Very well, but there's one more thing I'll ask of you. I have a feeling that you're needed in this Adolpha. How? I do not know yet."

"You act as if it would be a simple adventure, whereas, I know it will not," I pointed out, throwing another log onto the fire. "And besides, I do not wish to be around a great of evil as the Ring.

"I agree, but you also must understand why I'm asking. All of Middle Earth might depend on what you choose. We need you."

There was something in his voice that told me he was right, no matter how hard I tried to deny it.

I sighed. "Alright," I mumbled. "I will go with you."

Gandalf grew a wide grin. "Splendid!" He said, his voice taking on a lighter tone. He reached over and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Who knows, maybe it'll be like old times," I muttered, leaning back in the chair.

"Maybe, my child. Maybe."

Amin Hiraetha! : I'm sorry!