One Way, Or Another

Uni's POV

I felt the cold afternoon wind ruffle the fur on my back, chilly and fresh.

I sniffed the air, knowing that my prey was near. I pushed my muzzle through the bushes, spotting the gray pelt of a rabbit, fat and unawares. I licked my lips, running my tongue over the sharp canine teeth.

The dumb creature was bent over a tuft of grass, munching contently. I took a cautious step closer, but froze with one paw in the air as the rabbit's head shot up, tiny nose quivering and it's ears twitching. I felt the tuft of my blue hair fall over one eye as the wind shifted, bringing my scent directly to the creature.

Damnit. I thought as the rabbit started to hop away, unsettled. I snarled and jumped out of my hiding place, all of my energy being released like a spring coil. The rabbit squealed in fear and surprise, trying to escape, but my paw landed on it's spine, pinning it under my claws, and I quickly stunned it with a blow to the head. As it was reeling, I grabbed its throat with my jaws, and bit down, cleanly snapping it's neck.

I picked up the dead rabbit in my mouth, letting the fat body dangle, dragging it along the ground. Proudly trotting back into the forest, head held high, I walked over to where Ashlie and Tommy were waiting by the campfire that Nick made, who was sitting next to Ashlie, leaning on her shoulder. We were only a stone's throw away from the house, but we figured that Nick needed some fresh air, and we all needed food.

Tommy looked up, his mask shifting a little. Ashlie smiled.

"Great catch, Uni!" She praised.

I growled happily, dropping the rabbit on the grass next to them. Tommy grabbed the creature with a grin, curling his fingers into a fist. His blades shot out, making Ashlie jump, and he started to skin the rabbit, cleanly shearing the pelt off the animal with careful precision.

I lay down, focusing. Shifting was a lot easier now, but not completely effortless, and I slowly became human again, laying on the ground on my side, slowly breathing in and out.

"Are you ok?" Nick asked worriedly.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It just takes a little while to recover, that's all," I assured him, sitting up. I shook some leaf scraps out of my ears and brushed dust off my tail.

"Ok, good," he smiled, holding up a hand and the fire blazed a little higher. The orange shadows danced on our faces, and Tommy moved on to gutting the creature, looking away as the blood spilled out, along with all of the internal organs. Ashlie made a gagging noise. When he was done, Tommy washed the corpse in a bucket of water next to the fire, and then tossed it onto the hot coals, singeing the body and cooking the flesh.

When a delicious smell was starting to waft from the fire, Ashlie plucked the rabbit off the coals, handing it to Nick, who finished cooking it with his power.

He then gave it to me, and I started drooling over the delicious smells. But I fought back the urge, and used my hands to tear the rabbit into pieces for us to divide among each other.

"I call the head!" Tommy raised his hand with a smirk, and Nick and Ashlie giggled. I smiled and threw the piece of meat at him.

"I've heard that it increases your intelligence," Tommy said, taking a mouthful of the animal. He paused. "Actually, here, Uni. I..." he snorted a laugh and held the meat back to me. "I think you need it more than I do."

Ashlie burst out laughing, and Nick looked like he was going to explode. I snorted in amusement and glared playfully at him, growling softly. Tom smirked and took the head back, taking another bite.