Chapter Twenty Four

Alanna smiled in content as she sat down at the Ravenclaw table for dinner the night of her return to Hogwarts. She hadn't seen anyone yet, including Tiffany, which was odd. Alanna had expected to see the girl upon her arrival, but the short blonde was nowhere to be found.

Alanna's gaze drifted hopefully to the Gryffindor table, where she spotted James and Sirius sitting together and laughing to themselves whilst pointing towards the Hufflepuff table. Alanna rolled her eyes; no doubt they'd tortured some other first-year just for the hell of it.

Remus and Peter suddenly joined the two boys, which was Alanna's cue to look away and pretend to do something else. However, she couldn't help but look up, and when she did, her eyes met Remus' and both eleven-year-old's looked down bashfully. Alanna didn't dare look in his direction again.

Suddenly, Alanna's eyes were covered with a pair of hands.

"Guess who?" a soft voice said in her ear. Alanna giggled, grasping the hands.

"Hmm ... Leonard?" she said with a giggle. The hand moved from her eyes and Alanna turned her body to see Luke sitting himself on the bench, facing her. He faked a gasp.

"I'm hurt!" he said, clutching his chest. Alanna only smiled teasingly. "How could you honestly mistake me for my brother? We sound nothing alike!"

Alanna shrugged. "Well ..."

"I beg to differ," Tiffany spoke up as she sat down opposite the two.

"Tiffany!" Alanna said with a bright smile. "I thought you were a no-show. You weren't in the dorm when I got here."

Tiffany shrugged. "I was, um ... I was with Elise and Brooke. Though none of us have seen or heard from Maddie for a while.

Alanna frowned.

"Weird," Luke commented before he too shrugged it off. "Well, good news on my end; I got a cat for Christmas."

Tiffany's face brightened. "Did you really?" she asked in a high-pitched voice. "An actual living, breathing cat?"

"Would I lie to you?" Luke said.

"And I'm slightly concerned as to why you put emphasis on the 'living, breathing' part. Do you just collect dead cats or something?" Alanna asked with a slight frown. "Because if so, I think you belong in a padded room."

Luke laughed while Tiffany pouted. "You guys are so mean. I might just hang out with your brother from now on."

Luke's face dropped, his smile disappearing instantly. "No, don't do that. Bad Tiffany."

Tiffany shrugged. "I mean, he's not that different to you, is he? You look the same, talk the same, act the same--"

"We are nothing alike! How many times am I going to have to tell you people that?!"

"Me? None," Alanna said with a shrug. "Tiff on the other hand ... I have no idea. She can speak for herself."

The three shared in a laugh before the discussion was brought up about Luke's new cat. Alanna listened to the boy speak and noticed a drastic change in his behaviour. He was a lot happier and didn't look so disinterested in everything. And he was listening to Tiffany a lot more than usual as well. Alanna wondered what had changed him. Whatever it was, it had changed her friend for the better.

***

When the trio arrived back in the Ravenclaw common room after the feast that night, Luke claimed he was tired and just wanted to sleep after the long and tiring day. Alanna and Tiffany agreed that it'd be best if they got some shut-eye as well and they all headed up to their respective dorms.