Chapter 46

The moment Tai'ray first laid eyes on Ryraso was not one he had ever forgotten. He had summoned the human doctor who had dared threaten to snap his mate's wings off and was going to lose his job because of it. The doctor who knew k'nairi a little too well for someone who had a pass and whose name Tai'ray did not know. Most pass candidates forgot the language almost immediately if they had no tie to the k'nairi. If they didn't, that tended to mean that they still had a tie to the k'nairi. That, if nothing else, would have sparked Tai'ray's interest.

Ryraso had walked through the door to his room with his head held high. Brown hair, blue eyes, the healer was not tall, but not short either. His outfit fitted him beautifully, cupping him in all the right places. Tai'ray blinked as he felt something shift within his chest looking at the young human. A pull, something he was used to feeling about humans who were his.

"You are one of mine," Tai'ray stated, narrowing his eyes at that realisation. "Yet you are here," he murmured confused on how Ryraso had slipped through the net. Tai'ray allowed the medical exchange with one condition. After a passing, or failing occasionally, any human who had gained a link, or the beginning of one were invited to remain in Navat. If any refused the offer, he was informed of the names and faces of those who hadn't accepted. Ryraso had never shown up on any report and yet the pull was there.

"Yours?" Ryraso said clearly surprised at the statement, tilting his head slightly, his hair shifting with the movement. "How so my Lord?"

For a brief moment, Tai'ray entertained the idea that Ryraso didn't know about the link but in the end, he decided the human did. It was impossible to keep something so big from k'nairi culture a secret from outsiders even if few outside the link truly understood it. Tai'ray frowned as gestured for Ryraso to come closer, looking at him carefully.

"No. Maybe not one of mine. Not quite," Tai'ray corrected himself, seeing that it was truly the beginnings of a link. Something that maybe if the healer's mentor had not been fond of him, would have been missed. Tai'ray would have to find out who the mentor had been. "Close enough though. You lived in Navat I presume?" he said, pulling back on his Winglord persona.

"Of course sir. How else would I have known how to treat a k'nairi, my Lord?" Ryraso commented dryly. Tai'ray resisted the urge to chuckle at the human's words. This was someone who wasn't afraid to annoy people more powerful than himself. "I received a pass from the medical exchange for a reason," Ryraso folded his arms defensively."Unless you have compliant?"

"None of yours skill," Tai'ray waved off with a reassuring smile. "I am very glad for your skills. A pass is not given lightly and I trust my medical staff."

"Nice to know. I wonder occasionally if staying here affects my skills or not," Ryraso commented, tugging a strand of his hair behind his ear.

Tai'ray let out a chuckle as he found himself watching the action. He could understand the emotion behind that. Nel'os and Dyn'ad had taken an interest of their own in the healer and done some research on him. Ryraso was not exactly in a well thought of the job, as hard as the job was. Ryraso was known as a hard worker but it was clear that none of the other doctors liked him because of his common roots.

Tai'ray leant back, looking very relaxed, giving out a regal air around him. "You humans always are more concerned with rank than skill, but no, your skills have not deteriorated," Tai'ray promised. The k'nairi were also concerned with rank but skill was more sought after and rank could be earned with skill.

"I have no rank," Ryraso snorted.

"And yet you have the skill," Tai'ray murmured. "More than I usually allow to simply leave without an offer to remain. Especially those with a connection as well," Tai'ray said unable to keep the curiosity from his voice, subtly asking how Ryraso had slipped through the gaps and if how he felt about that. It was confusing to Tai'ray. Still, if the humans weren't going to make use of his skill, Tai'ray would ensure the k'nairi would. One of the other reasons for the exchange was simply that few K'nairi became healers. Too many problems with their temperament.