~Chapter 12~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! Sorry for the long wait! :( I wrote an extra long chapter to compensate and I have a big surprise at the end of this chapter, so be sure to hold on up to the end. I promise you'll be rewarded. (I think I swooned myself a bit, is that even possible? :O)

Anyway, I  hope you like the chapter, it's the product of me running with high fever. If you do, leave some love, please. It will not kill the cold, but it will make me feel warm on the inside. HIHI!

Stay awesome!

Fearsome Hamster

"That one would not do, try this blue dress instead," Nana threw yet another garment from the wardrobe at her, dozens of already tried clothes quickly stacking on the bed. Upon finding Margo would meet Zachary again, her grandmother had not stopped fussing over her. Either her hair, her nails or her outfit, it seemed Nana made it her new life's purpose to make her look exquisite.

"Na, you do realise Thomas is going to join me and Mr. Frost today. Nothing of what is currently going on inside your mind will be any close to coming true."

"Shush, darling, you never know when an opportunity might arise," her grandmother winked. 

Beneath this carefree attitude, Margo knew Nana well enough to recognise that she was distracting herself from the uncomfortable truth. If she were honest with herself, they were both doing this, avoiding the heavy question hanging over their shoulders like a sword, ready to drop and slice through the fragile bubble of happy ignorance they shared. The subject of her arranged marriage was yet to be approached, even though it was lying on the fore front of their minds.

Nana fluffed her hair a bit more, adding another ribbon in her now barely tamed curls. Taking a step back, Nana circled the young woman critically. Judging by the displeased look in her eyes, the dress had not passed the trial. Her grandmother's next words confirmed this.

"Too conventional. Maybe if I find another scarf–," Nana said.

"Nana..."

"–or braid your hair into something–," Nana took out the ribbon she previously arranged. 

"Nana, you don't have to–," Margo attempted to talk again.

"and find those pretty earrings that match your eyes–,"

"Nana," at her brusque tone, her grandmother finally looked up, acknowledging her. Caught unaware, the wise woman's eyes held an impenetrable sadness in them. Margo caressed her soft age beaten cheeks. "Nana, you do not have to pretend to be happy for me. We both know what my father lost that night betting," her grandmother's gaze welled with tears.

"My wise girl, I still cannot believe it. He's a become a shell of what he used to be, the day my daughter died, she took his soul right along with hers in the after life," Nana chocked out.

"I'm slowly coming to terms with my impending wedding, Na. My fiancee, Zachary, he seems different than I believed." Images of Zachary carrying Old Ray to the infirmary flashed in her mind. "....I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt."

"You've always been mature beyond your years, my child. May the fates offer you what you truly deserve," Nana hugged her tightly, making her feel like a little girl again. Margo let the warmth of the moment envelop her.

All too soon, strong knocking was heard at the front door. Thomas' excited laughter echoed from downstairs, the young boy running to greet their guest. She did not need to hear his smooth suave voice to know who their visitor was.