The Impossible Astronaut (pt 1)

a/n: you might want to read the first book in this series first. it's on my profile, simply titled "supernova (11th doctor)". big huge thank you and all of my love to everyone who is actually reading this second book!

falling in love with a god
is not a death sentence.
the story is only a tragedy
if the god loves you back.       -o.g.k.

I endured the midday heat, leaning against the diner walls outside, bracing myself: both against the pain of inter-universe travelling, and for what was going to happen next.

It felt like the first time I landed in this universe all over again. I was hiding behind a wall, afraid of going inside and facing the Doctor. Except this time, it wasn't because I didn't know him-- it was because he didn't know me.

Not like I thought he did, anyway.

After Dylan and I had gone through the agonizing 24/7 process of finding a new counterpart from the technology department to replace Meredith, we were given a three-month break: combined time from the protocol of receiving a new counterpart, and the time necessary after being involved in a court ruling. We had caused an explosion, and it needed a lot of time to blow over.

The truth was, I didn't really want to be here. At least, not with the Doctor acting like I would betray him at any moment; not seeing me. But after everything Dylan said to me last time-- I realized that I had to be here. I belonged here. I was a part of this as much as it was a part of me; I couldn't be cowardly and leave forever. Besides-- now I had three months to spare.

Much like before, I forced myself to open the door and enter the diner, knowing that I could stand outside and over-think forever.

"Nova," I heard the Doctor say immediately, as he stood from his spot in the booth with River and moved over to me. He stopped in front of me abruptly-- as though he meant to keep walking or reach out, but forced himself not to.

He looked at me like I was glass: something that he could break, and something that he could see right through. "How are you?"

"I'm... confused." I admitted. I didn't expect this reaction from the Doctor.

"Why?"

"Well..." I looked around the diner for a moment, noticing its interior and the fact that Amy, Rory, and River were standing around us now. "We're in America, and..." I turned back to him, "You look older."

The Doctor smiled. "I am older."

"Yeah, you've been up to something," Amy noticed.

The Doctor moved to sit in a booth, all of us fitting in. I sat next to River, across the Doctor. "I've been running...faster than I've ever run, and I've been running my whole life. Now it's time for me to stop. And tonight I'm going to need you all with me."

Amy thought he was being weird with his serious tone, but went on anyway. "Okay, we're here, what's up?"

"A picnic!" He smiled. "And then a trip. Somewhere different. Somewhere brand-new."

"Where?"

"Space... 1969."

888

"Salud!" The Doctor held up his wine bottle, while everyone else held up their glasses and cheered, sprawled around a picnic blanket by a lake in Utah. "Salud!"

"So when are we going to 1969?" Rory asked.

"And since when do you drink wine?" Amy followed.

"I'm 1,103-- I must have drunk it sometime," The Doctor took a swig from the wine bottle only to immediately spit it out behind him, his face going sour. "Oh, wine's horrid! I thought it would taste more like the gums."