twenty-three

(miya's p.o.v)

"So, I put rat poisoning on his sandwich when he wasn't looking. I almost killed him, but unfortunately he survived," Carl told me the story of how he almost killed his cousin, Patrick, when he tried to take the house from them. He's also told me about how Debbie stole a baby, how they had to fake Frank's death, how Jimmy/Steve left Frank in Canada, and how they had to dig up their aunt Ginger. I've got to admit, the stories were funny but once I realized how fucked up they actually are, I started to feel bad for laughing.

"Holy shit. Killer Carl," I joked. "I would've loved to have known you back then."

"Nah, I was stupid and reckless. I'm glad you didn't know me then," he said, letting his smile fall back into a frown.

"I may not have known you then, but I know you weren't stupid. Maybe a little reckless, but definitley not stupid," I told him, trying to cheer him up a bit.

"Thanks, Miya," Carl smiled, grabbing my hand from across the table we were sitting at while we ate our lobster.

My phone began to ring from across the room and I quickly got up to go see who was calling me. When I picked my phone up, Ash's name was displayed on the screen.

"Hello," I answered the phone.

"Miya, where are you," Ash asked in a panicked voice.

"I'm with Carl at a hotel. Are you okay? What's going on?"

"I need you. I need you, Mi. I-I don't know what to do!"

"Ash what happened? What are you talking about?"

"Please get over here now! Miya, I need you bad. I don't know what to do! I'm scared. Please!"

"Okay, okay. Where are you?"

"I'm at my house. Please just hurry. Hurry!"

"Alright, I'm coming. Don't go anywhere!"

"I won't."

I quickly hung up the phone and slipped my shoes on that were sitting beside the bed. I grabbed the car keys and my jacket.

"Babe, what's going on," Carl asked, rushing over to me. "Where are you going?"

"Ash, needs me. He's hurt or scared or something. We have to go, now," I told him. He didn't move, he just stood there and stared at me with a blank face. "Carl, what are you doing? Get your shoes and your jacket on you have to drive me to Ash's house. I don't have my license."

"No," he answered.

"Carl, we don't have time to discuss this. We need to go now!"

"No."

"Yes, Carl! Now!"

"No, I'm not going to go help someone who raped you. I don't care if you've forgiven him. I haven't and I'm not going to. He hurt you, he hurt us. I'm not helping him."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me. I've told you this a million times, he's better know. Why are you being so cold?"

"I'm not being cold, I'm being honest with you. That's what couples do, they're honest with eachother and I'm telling you I'm not helping someone who hurt you." I stood there in disbelief for a moment.

"Fine, do whatever the hell you want. I need to make sure he's okay. I'm going." Without hesitation I stormed out of the room. I didn't hear him call after me. He didn't follow me. He stayed there. I wanted him to do the exact opposite. But, I kept going. Ash needs me and I'm not going to leave him hanging. I need to make sure he's okay.