Chapter One

THREE YEARS LATER,
Middle East, Former Red Zone.

Chapter One

'Step out of the car,' Savage leaned from the front to the back seat, 'and I'll shoot you myself.'

'You be safer with me,' Viktor said, long sentences a struggle for the Eastern European.

'Just relax,' Savage said, 'It's Ramadan is all.

'Too quiet.'

'They've broken fast. After twelve hours famine everyone's feasting, that's why the streets are empty. Didn't you hear the call?'

'Course, yes.'

'Then what's the problem?'

Viktor loomed over Savage, almost shouted, 'You trust local, you have rock in head.'

'What d'you know new boy?' Savage thrust his face into the big man's. 'Sit back and shut the fuck up. We are way off reservation here.'

Andre gave Savage a look from the driver's seat, then lowered his voice. 'Sheeeitt, more likely stop and give him lessons if they hear his English. Seriously, why him?'

'If we need extra rounds down one shooter's much the same as any other, present company excluded of course.'

'No doubt, but there's plenty of solid operators back on base.'

'Not my call. Consider it a proof of concept.'

'Like he's the fucked up concept, now we need the fucked up proof?'

'Nothing's going to happen. We check the intel, then we're out, minimal shaking it about. Keep him in the car, stay on the wheel, I'll do the rest.'

'Understood.'

Out of habit the two men slipped into a comfortable silence. Operational and alert. Eyes on the street.

'I like to fight,' Viktor slammed a fist into his chest, 'Why you here?'

'Oh, please lord,' Andre prayed, 'can you hook me up? We're going to need maximum insha'allah today.'

The two men chuckled quietly.

'What is joke?'

'Your turn,' Savage said.

'Son,' Andre leaned into the back of the battered old Nissan Patrol. 'That's great about the fighting and all, but you jump in every battle here then sooner, not later, you die. We're outnumbered, out-gunned and we don't have back up, ever. You understand?'

'You black fucker,' he said, 'I understand, you are coward.'

Andre turned to Savage. 'Does he even realise what he just said?'

Savage shook his head. 'You want to kill him or shall I?'

'I got a window in my schedule.'

'Hell, do it back at base, no sense wasting ammo and having him stink up the place.'

'Maybe someone'll do it for us.'

Savage felt Viktor's grip on his shoulder. 'Ignore Kunta Kinte,' Viktor said. 'We are brothers, we go together.'

'Touch me again,' Savage said, 'I'll break your fucking fingers.'

The hand pulled away. Savage saw Viktor lean back and pretend he meant to look out the window all along.

'I was ordered to bring you,' Savage said. 'Nobody said anything about bringing you back.' A sting in the man's eyes was all Savage needed to see. They went back to watching.