Chapter 2: Recruiting

Kira's Point of View (Will be present tense from now on):

"You're late." Fury says bluntly as I land next to him.  He's wearing his usual eyepatch and black trenchcoat, along with an impatient expression.  Shaking my head, I fold my in my wings close to my back.

"Well call me in the middle of a mission and that's what happens." I retort.  Don't get me wrong, I respect Nick Fury more than anyone.  It's just, sometimes he tends to be a bit overkill.

"Fury what's all this about?" I ask, watching as a few agents get any person who isn't the Captain out of the gym we're standing outside of.

"The Tesseract is in enemy hands, someone who wants to control all of Earth.  An Asgardian named Loki barged into a top secret military base and took the cube, along with Barton and Selvig.  I don't know what he did to them, but they are now his puppets." Fury informs me.  My eyes widen at this news.  Just what we need: an evil god trying to take over the world.  And he has one of my closest friends as a pawn.

"That's why you're bringing us together." I state.  The director just nods in confirmation.

"Are you sure the Captain will want to join?  After all he's lost?" I ask incredulously.  Fury raises an eyebrow at me.  Something he's very good at.

"You still do it." he retorts.  I just shake my head.

"I didn't have anything to start with.  And I grew up in this generation.  Steve was just thrown into the 21st century.  Everything has changed since his time, including the people."

  Hell, with all the scumbags I see on a daily basis, I hardly have any faith in humanity.  But for Steve Rogers...  I can't even imagine.

"Yes, but the Captain hasn't changed.  He'll help, not because he really wants to, but because it's the right thing to do." Fury responds.  I smile slightly.  I hope the Director's right.  We need Steve.  He's a natural leader and would help keep this diverse group together. 

  I follow Fury through the doors of the gym in Brooklyn and, sure enough, it's empty, besides the Captain.  Steve Rogers is hitting a punching bag hard, and I can tell immediately that something is getting to him.  He wails at the bag harder and harder as the seconds tick by, and it shows his super-human strength.  Similar to mine, actually.  The only difference is that I was born with it, while Steve earned the super-soldier serum.  Steve's a big guy, standing at over six feet.  He is very muscular and has dark blond hair.  And as the Captain hits the punchingbag so hard it flies off of its chain and sails acrossed the room, I'm very happy that he's on the right side.  Steve simply takes a deep breath, picks up another punchingbag and hooks it in position.  He then starts punching again.  And now Director Fury decides we should make our presence known.

"Trouble sleeping?" the Director asks and Steve turns to look at us.  He seems to recognize Fury, but looks confused to see me.

"I slept for seventy years, sir.  I think I've had my fill." Steve says curtly.  I stay silent for the moment, letting Fury do the talking.  He obviously is more familiar with Rogers.  Though, I'm pretty sure I have better people skills than Fury, even for a SHIELD agent.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." Fury counters.  I inwardly flinch, but keep my face blank.  If Steve was in any mental or emotional state to socialize, he wouldn't be at a gym at 2:00 in the morning, beating the living crap out of several punchingbags.  I know the feeling.

  Steve stops punching and sits down on a wooden bench.  He looks up at us with bright blue eyes as he unwraps his hands.

"I went under, the world was still at war.  I wake up, and they say we won.  They didn't say what we lost." he says, grimly.  I look down, understanding what he means.