41| EMERGENCY

The only clear thing that Callas could hear was the sound of the trucks engine gaining speed, being forced to work faster as Jacob pressed his foot against the pedal with more pressure. Her focus was on and off again, her eyes were barely able to stay staring in one place for long before her head lulled to the side, pricking back up just as quickly as if she had been shocked awake. Reed's chest was moving unevenly, in and out at rapid intervals before pausing, occasionally shaking. He was crying, but he was trying to pull himself together with the anger he held for Will. Had Henry known about him? Was Henry like him? Why had Reed acted so negatively towards Embry back at the house? Callas wasn't sure of anything that flooded her aching mind and shut down the rest of her body. It infuriated her. As did the stinging sensation that was left behind from when Will had forcefully smashed her head into the side of the island counter. How had he managed to get into the house? All the doors were locked, the windows were closed. What exactly happened to Zeus?

Darkness soon followed thereafter and consumed her and then the questions, that ached her mind, had dulled. An empty feeling remained as her limbs felt heavy and not of her own. Time seemed to stand still, but it was flying past her too quickly. Flying at a speed, that, she was most definitely sure of, if she had stuck her arm out to try and stop it, she would see her arm fading—as if she was being drawn away from existence, something that would almost resemble an event from The Flash—she was certain of it. Her body jostled about as Jacob drove quickly, turning a sharp corner. Other cars blared their horns, stopping abruptly in the middle of the road as the erratic teenager sped down the damp and darkened road of Forks, making his way towards the hospital, knowing that it was more equipped than the small clinic in La Push. The rain seemed to fall faster as the hospital came more into their view. Reed's grip tightened around Callas as Jacob managed to pull into the parking lot, swerving the truck into a vacant lot, almost crashing into a few of the parked cars as he did. They had both been through an awful lot, but even the sole idea of losing Callas, in the midst of it all, had sent a wave of nausea and disgust through Reed's body, a wave that Reed knew would last for as long as Callas was stuck in hospital, for as long as Will still walked among them.

"Go." Jacob turned back to him. "I'll catch up."

Reed nodded. His heart thumped widely, his pulse was almost painful under his skin as his hand moved to the door handle of the truck. He opened the passenger door quickly and pulled Callas out, not bothering to close the truck door before he started to run towards the entrance of the hospital. Reed looked down to Callas's face. The trickle of blood, from her forehead, had been smudged, from where he had pushed her hair out of her face, and the droplets had dripped in a spider-web pattern from the journey to the hospital—thanks to Jacobs ungodly driving behaviour. Fear rattled through his veins, running white hot as he frantically ran through the automatic doors. Heavy footsteps followed him and Jacob soon appeared beside him, looking just as worried and just as determined for Callas to be seen to immediately as Reed had. He pushed his way through the queue of people, despite their protests, allowing them to run up to the front desk—although it wasn't exactly difficult, as the other people in the queue didn't do much to stop Reed and Jacob from moving in front of them. Reed inwardly groaned at who he saw sitting in the chair. Now wasn't the time for this. The girl looked up and seemed caught off guard, she tried fixing the way she looked, pulling down her unbuttoned top that was already way too revealing, she leaned forward and tried to look as seductive as she could.

"Detective, haven't seen you in a while," she purred, flicking her hair over her shoulder, seemingly oblivious to the unconscious bleeding girl in his arms.

"I need help." Reed ignored her.

She bit her lip, her gaze falling to his lips before slowly—agonisingly slowly—drew back up to his own eyes. "I can help you." Reed wanted to scream.