chapter 22 | anything but conventional

Ten Weeks Ago

Ten Weeks Ago

Wednesday Morning

Almost an hour and a half later, we pull up to a building sitting on a small airfield. To the left is an aircraft hangar and a runway. I see the word "Skydive" on a banner and fear begins to creep into my belly. It all makes sense now. The whole dressing down thing.

Oh shit!

It feels like my belly is full of bees. "Umm, is there a restroom around?"

Phoenix's good-humored expression melts away as he looks at me with concern. He quickly points in the direction of the restroom, as he gets out of the truck.

As I rush to get there in time, the breakfast I had eaten that morning threatens to surface. I grip my stomach trying to contain that jittery, nervous feeling and place my hand over my mouth to keep from heaving.

What the fuck? This can't be the date. Who on earth told him this was a good idea? "Perfect, just perfect!" I yell at no one in particular. I run the water. My hands are shaking like crazy as I splash my face with a handful of water and then dry it off.

Calm down. It's cool.

Man up. You can do this. You always wanted to do this. Might as well take the opportunity now that it's staring you in the face.

I take another deep breath. The shaking slows down. I stand there in an almost meditative state as I calm my mind and body.

You talked all about letting go and going with the flow when you meet the next guy and look at you now. You're doing everything but that. Face it. Face yourself. You can do this. You will do this. You are doing this, damn it. Right now. Not later. Come on, let's go.

Nodding to myself, I walk out feeling like I might actually be able to pull this off. I find my way back to Phoenix. He's pacing in front of the building.

"You OK?" He peers at me in concern.

"I — uh. This was unexpected. You got me on this one." I clap my hands and rub them together like a gymnast powdering her hands before the big mount. "We're skydiving, I take it?"

"Yep, only if you're game. I remember you said you always wanted to do this. I don't know if you know this about me, but this was one of my first jobs before doing real estate. I was and still am a skydiving instructor. Although at this point, I skydive only on request."

Just then a tall, lean, blonde guy walks past Phoenix and fist bumps him. He carries the air of a retired, sun-loving, Californian surfer. "You in the clouds today?"

Phoenix nudges me. "Taking this newbie up for the ride of her life."

"Dude's been flying for what ten years now?" He looks to Phoenix for confirmation.

"Twelve actually." Phoenix half-smiles.

"Once you're up there you've just got to surrender and ride the wind." With a flick of his head, he whips his mid-length hair out of his eyes. "I can't get enough. It's why I became an instructor." He stands there beaming with pride.