Chapter One

Lying on the hard concrete pavement outside, I waited for Mama to come home. The thick darkness engulfed me, making me invincible to anyone approaching the house.

It's the usual blackout days and I sadly, had no torchlight with me. I cringe and shiver at the thought of a reptile crawling and munching a chunk off me.

It's been a busy, hungry and sad day for me, one of those days I was mandated to fast as a punishment for being careless. I'd gotten on my aunt Agnes' nerve after I mistakenly broke her fancy ceramic plate, which was actually her favorite plate.

She had there and then commanded me to not taste any meal cooked in the house, and had further instructed everyone else not to feed me. That was the usual punishment for my supposed carelessness.

From that morning I'd tasted nothing except for water, even though I've been working tirelessly in and outside the house, trying to get every single chore done. This was why I was panting heavily when I finally laid in the darkness, waiting and hoping Mama would come soon and maybe override aunt Agnes' punishment.

I'd earlier overheard aunt Oby saying Mama traveled to far away Abakaliki and would be back very late. My stomach churned and bubbled at the thought of this, forcing me to twinge in pain in response. I was now very hungry that I could literally eat anything as food.

My aunts and uncle were already fast asleep, enjoying the warm comforts of their bed upstairs but I was forbidden to retire for the night, unless Mama comes home.

Mama I know hates knocking and waiting for someone to open up for her. She always loved the idea of someone waiting up no matter how late it could be. That someone was me!

The weather has changed and I was sure it would soon bless the earth with its showers, and drench my poor self. I therefore intensified my prayers, not only for Mama to come home soonest but for it not to rain. If it rains, I'd have to stay up and fill  our empty drums, and my heart skipped severally as I envisioned how long that would take.

As if my prayers were going unanswered, lightning began to cast it's presence in the sky. I watched and prayed silently in my heart, my mind uncertain of heaven's plan.

Everywhere was pretty dark and quiet and one could clearly hear the sound of the cringing birds. I couldn't even see our pawpaw tree as darkness had enveloped it all. I was now very scared and wished I could be called in, even if it is to lay on the floor while waiting for Mama, but I knew in my heart it was just pure imagination.

I waited for over four hours until I heard faint flapping steps coming towards me, I became more afraid as I couldn't make out who it was.

The steps were very closer now and the sound they made more alarming.

I was dead with fear.

As if a strange voice whispered some words in my ear, I jerked up and ran to a corner for safety. I needed to confirm who it was before making my presence known. There had been recent reports of robbery incidents within the estate and none of the robbers has ever being caught neither could anyone tell those involved.

As the being drew closer, I tried so hard to make out the face but all I could see were two huge white balls floating in the darkness. I was now very much afraid.

"Don't tell me this girl has gone to bed! " I heard her say.

That was Mama, my step aunt.

I wouldn't lie, that was actually the very first time I've ever felt this huge and genuine relieve hearing her voice.

"I'm here, good evening ma" I greeted stepping out to carry her bag.

"And why were you there? " She asked. "So you wanted to scare me, this little brat! " She cursed.