Thirteen: This is Halloween pt. 2

Zack never faltered when he got the chance to compliment himself. Whether someone was complimenting his costume or saying we had "such a cute couples costume" he would gloat about it once they were gone.

Seeing that Sky and Sophia ran off without us, many of the adults handing out candy gave us a wary eye. I don't blame them. Two adults dressed up without a kid does seem a bit odd.

Once the elevator doors opened to the fifth level, Sophia announced she wanted to go home when she finished this floor. Without waiting for a reply from us, her and Sky jetted off to the farthest end of the hall.

"If I didn't know any better, I would think Sophia was Sky's kid." Zack joked. He pushed his hands into his pockets and we both began our slower pace down the hall. His green Robin Hood hat had lost its red feather at some point in the night.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm not even a part of this family." I joked back, but there was a slight truth to my words. Zack caught on before I could dismiss what I had said. 

"She loves you to death, you know that, right?" Zack asked. When I didn't reply, he kept talking. "I mean, I know you don't like me over at your place while Sky is babysitting and all but I still come over from time to time. Sophia is always talking about you. Telling me some story about you or how good of a cook you are, which I think is slight bullshit but that's just me." I didn't have to look at him to know there was a smirk on his face.

"Thanks," I mumbled, not sure if it was meant to be sarcastic or not.

I hated feeling this way. I hated that I wasn't around Sophia as much as I should be. But there wasn't anything I could do to change that, at least not now.

"Hey, don't worry. You aren't going to lose her to anyone." Zack reassured. And, ever so slightly, he slid his hand into mine.

I looked down at our intertwined fingers. Warmth began to fill this cold feeling I had in my chest from before.

I looked up and mumbled another "Thanks." Except this one had more of a genuine tone.

"Anytime." He said, squeezing my hand.

We walked like that, in silence, hand in hand. It didn't feel awkward like I would imagine. It felt nice, almost comforting. It felt right.

I watched as Sophia and Sky knocked on the last door on the floor. The old man gave a loving smile and handed Sophia a pack of Skittles. 

"Yes! I love Skittles! Thank you so much!" Sophia squealed, jumping up and down.

The old man smiled warmly and muttered in a shaky voice, "Have a happy Halloween."

"You too Mr.!" Sophia waved to him as she walked away. "Look, Mommy! I got a whole pack of Skittles!" She said, holding the package up to me.

"Congrats, you got what you wanted," I responded with.

"Yeah, but I have a question," Sophia said, putting her Skittles with the rest of her candy.

"And what's that?" I asked with curiosity.

She looked up at me and asked, "Why are you and Zack holding hands?"

My eyes widened when I realized Zack and I still had a tight grip on each other. We both released our hands quickly. I felt my face heat red and I had a feeling Zack's matched mine.

I looked up at Sky, a smirk plastered her face. She crossed her arms and questioned, "Yeah Naomi, why were you holding hands?" raising an eyebrow.

I gulped hard. I didn't know what to say, probably because I wasn't sure myself. I crouched down to Sophia's level and said, "Well, sweetie, I was feeling kind of sad. So Zack comforted me."