Chapter 16

Draco's POV

I was happy to find that when I walked in the room, it wasn't full of people. Blaise looked at me and stood up.

"Bye mate," was all he said before he was gone.

"What was that all about?" I asked Hermione.

"We had an awkward conversation that didn't go like he'd planned, " she muttered, reaching for me.

I held her hand and sat by her.

"What was it about?"

"He was trying to apologise to me by saying he'd thought I'd be like everyone else and enjoy a party. I told him I'm not like everyone else. It was just awkward after that," she explained.

"Oh."

We sat there for a moment before I blurted something that may have sounded rude.

"You need a bath."

"Oh... Yeah I do," she agreed, moving her legs to the edge of the bed.

She winced at the movement.

"Here, let me help," I smiled.

I looped an arm under her knees and the other behind her back. I lifted her up as gently as I could and carried her to the bathroom.

"Do you need any help?" I asked as I set her on the bathroom floor.

"No! No, I don't," she rushed.

I tried not to be offended at how quickly the words shot out.

"Okay, be careful," I ordered. "Call me if you need anything."

I left the door cracked on the way out just in case.

Hermione's P.O.V

When I finished with my bath, I struggled to get out. I'd ended up hitting my elbow really hard on my way out. I wrapped a towel tightly around me and was about to leave when the mirror caught my eye.

I slowly walked to it, grabbing the counter top for support. I looked at the woman in the mirror.

I hadn't seen her face in over two years.

The scars on her face bothered me. One large one made her cheek look horrible. They were bright white on her already pale skin.

She had dark rings around her eyes from lack of decent sleep. Her hair was messy and thin.

I wanted nothing more than to help the girl in the mirror. Her bottom lip trembled lightly as tears dripped from her brown eyes. Her eyes closed, and I felt the cool glass on my forehead.

"Hermione? Are you alright?"

I hadn't realized a few sobs escaped my lips until the door opened.

"Oh, Hermione," Draco sighed, coming up behind me.

I opened my eyes and flinched away from him when he touched my bare shoulder. I tried to move away, but I tripped over my feet and nearly fell. Draco quickly caught my arms and pulled me to him.

I was extremely thankful I wrapped the towel around me so tight. I didn't like this position at all. I had no clothing, just a towel. His hands ran along the bare skin on my back.

"You're beautiful, Hermione," he whispered.

"Y - you're just s - saying that," I whimpered.

"No, I'm not," he said so harshly, I couldn't help but flinch.

He was too defensive. It only meant one thing.

"Don't lie to me," I whispered.

Draco's P.O.V

I charmed her clothes on her and pulled her out of the bathroom. I made her sit on the bed, and I stood in front of her.

I grabbed her cheeks to make her look at me.

"Listen to me," I ordered.

She stared at me with horrified eyes as I held her still.

"You are beautiful. If you ever doubt that again, we will be having an argument. I never want to hear you call me a Liar again. Do you understand?" I asked in a low, menacing voice.

She was trembling violently. I waited for a reply. She nodded quickly.

I knew I'd really scared her, so I pulled my lips to hers. She was a shaking mess. I kissed her gently and held her, so she couldn't move back.

I pulled back, seeing as she still wouldn't calm down. I decided I should just leave her alone. Kissing her only made it a lot worse.

I left to go to the bathroom.

I wasn't gone more than five minutes, but when I walked in the room, Hermione was gone. The bedroom door was wide open.

Panic was all I felt. I sat silently, listening for her screams. I grew hopeful when I heard none. I used a quick tracking spell. I found a blue outline of every person in the house. I found one that was curled up in a ball, five doors down from mine. She was alone.

Releif flooded every part of me. She was still okay.

I rushed to the door, but froze outside when I heard soft sobs against the door.

I slowly opened it and looked at Hermione. I picked her crying, trembling frame up and started to carry her back to the room.