Chapter 8

After sitting around the basement bored for about an hour, Alex started hearing snoring. He turned to his left and saw Crazy Dave lying on the couch with his eyes closed and mouth wide open. He thought he saw some drool in his beard, as well.

He then looked to his right and saw Josie doodling something on a notepad. He also saw Freddy talking with the Plants about something. They were whispering, so it was hard to tell what they were talking about.

Alex himself was just lying on the floor with his hands crossed on his chest. He felt as if he were about to end up like Dave and pass out. Dave insisted they stay in the basement, just in case the zombies quickly attacked again.

Well, a whole 60 minutes passed and not one zombie was seen anywhere. Not even thinking, Alex’s eyes started to slowly close. When they were all the way shut, his mind quickly flashed to his life before the zombie attack.

He was a C average student in school. The problem wasn’t that he wasn’t smart; everyone told him he was a genius. No, the problem was that he didn’t care. Like most kids, he didn’t really like school at all. He didn’t really feel like getting an education as big as they were offering was really necessary. His dream career was to become an actor for movies and TV, and seeing as how even the worst child actors still get their own shows, he felt like he had a good shot.

Josie, on the other hand, was the exact opposite. She felt like all she needed in life was to learn. She was the best student of the class, academically and physically. Nearly every other student was fat, stupid, ugly, druggies, or a combination of some.

However, Josie was the best looking and had the best grades. It comes as no surprise as to how she got so much attention. Many of the other ‘popular’ girls called her a geek or ugly or other things to try and bring her down. Josie simply shrugged and told them things like “Sorry to break it to you, but I ain’t your reflection” and walked away.

Many wondered how her and Alex were such compatible friends, including the two themselves. They didn’t think too hard on it, though. Josie was just glad to have a true friend in her new life, and Alex was glad he had a true friend he could be happy around.

However, now Alex was wondering how great their friendship really was. He wasn’t asking for much; just what Josie wasn’t telling him. He’s told her everything there is to know about him. He just doesn’t understand why she won’t tell him everything about her...

ERT! ERT! ERT! Alex’s eyes quickly opened up and turned towards the TV. He heard Dave snort a bit before seeing him stand up off the couch. Freddy and Josie also got up and looked towards the TV.

At first, they thought it was a false alarm, as nothing was there. However, after a few seconds, a zombie came sprinting across the yard towards the house! It appeared to have something in its hand.

Right as they were going to start planting, the zombie stopped in the middle of the yard, dropped whatever it was holding, and ran off the property the way he came.

They all paused for a minute or two, staring at the object dropped. It appeared to be yellow and rectangular.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that’s a folded piece of paper!” Josie said after the period of silence.

“We should check it out,” Alex told nobody in particular. Without even being told to, Freddy quickly ran up the stairs. A few seconds later, they all saw him running onto the lawn, grabbing the paper, unfolding it, pausing to read it, quickly look around for something, and run back inside.

“What is it?” Dave asked. Freddy simply handed him the paper. After unfolding it and reading it, Dave raised his eyebrows and handed it to Alex and Josie. They looked at it and were quite confused. It read: