Chapter Twelve

7/30/17

Wednesday
2 Days Left

"You're very welcome, Zelda. It was a pleasure to cook for you." He smiled. "And thank you for helping, it's nice to know that you're interested in learning."

I grinned. "Well, I'm just glad you let me."

"Let you?"

"I wasn't allowed to cook when I was living at home." I traced out a spiral pattern on the tabletop. "Now I guess I can since I'm on my own... but I don't really have any idea how to. And I don't think my parents would approve if they found out."

He'd been reaching for his utensils but he stopped when I replied. "Wait... you weren't allowed?"

I nodded as memories flooded my traitorous brain. Excuse me, I'm trying to enjoy my night, I chided myself. "I tried a few times, but no one ever let me. I would get a stern..." I swallowed and shook my head. "Talking to from my father afterward." I raised a finger into the air, pointing it like I was scolding someone. "You are to be a politician, Zelda, not some bottom-dwelling cook," I said in a gruff voice to mock my father's, my finger waving.

"What?" Link exclaimed.

"I know... he didn't seem to get it that without chefs we wouldn't have any food on our table."

He nodded. Link looked calm, but as I trailed my gaze down to his hands I saw that he was holding the edge of the table so tightly his knuckles had gone white.

A pit reopened in my stomach. "I'm sorry, that's just how they are. I don't... I don't hold the same opinions."

He suddenly moved to grab his utensils again and nodded once more. "I didn't think you did..."

I started to nod as well. I wanted to drop it.

But... well my brain decided it wasn't about to let go. It repeated in my mind. A swarm of emotions, and images, and Link's clenched knuckles. It started with a growl in my mind that became audible a few moments later. I slammed my hand down on the table, making the silverware rattle on my plate.

I forgot to hold it in. Forgot to block it out. Forgot that I shouldn't even talk about them. "After everything he's done..." I began, a cold creeping down my back, and I fire rising in my lungs. "He still tries to act like he's a respectable human being!" I was yelling. I didn't mean to yell. "When he's just a pretentious bastard!"

Link stared at my hands and then flicked his eyes up to my face. "Remind me what pretentious means, Miss Dictionary," he said casually. Too casually.

I hadn't realized I'd gotten to my feet. Horror made me slump back into my chair. "I'm so sorry," I whispered. "I didn't mean to..." I swallowed and then cleared my throat. Shaking my head as I willed the outburst away. "It means snobbish, conceited, a 'better than thou' attitude." I looked down at my food. "I'm sorry..." I repeated. "I didn't mean to lose it on that subject, I... I actively try not to do that..."

"It's fine," Link replied. Looking me straight in the eye, unfazed. "It makes me very glad that you grew up independent of their ignorance."

My head tilted to the side at the wording. "You said you weren't a writer." I smiled hesitantly. My fingers were still trembling. "That was actually eloquent."

Link smiled and shook his head. "My grandma uses that line so I can't quite take credit for it."

"Ah, pity..."

The rest of the dinner passed with me making appreciative noises with every bite I took, while Link watched me with an amused expression.

I set my utensils on the plate after I finished and sighed.

"You really like food," he commented.

Rolling my eyes, I replied, "I really like this food."

Link chuckled. "With that sort of reaction, I'll need to have you up for dinner more often."

I frowned. "But... we only have two days left..."

"What?" Link replied, looking confused.

I tried to keep myself from scowling. Why was he making me explain what he already knew? "Well, really just tomorrow night, because the day after that is the start of the vacation... And after that, our agreement ends," I reminded.

Link's brows only furrowed more. "Our agreement?" He shook his head. "I didn't invite you up here because you're my fake date. I did it because I wanted to play video games with you. I wanted to make dinner for you."

I looked up at him, my mouth open for a stupid second. "Oh."

"Why does that surprise you?"

"I... I don't know, I guess I figured it was just to... practice more?" I winced. Practice? That doesn't sound weird AT ALL when you're alone in his apartment.

He shook his head. "It could have been, but it wasn't. It shouldn't be all that surprising that I enjoy your company."

I didn't even change my expression. It's one thing to go on about liking me... and saying I'm unique, but to actually differentiate between fake and genuine like this? I don't know what to think... "Are you sure you're an awkward person?"

"What?"

"You said you were awkward with people."

"You're not people."

I stared, trying not to look wide-eyed at the most meaningful words I'd heard in a long time. The words that came from him... despite me having had an outburst over a lovely dinner. "Oh..." I trailed off.

When I didn't respond further, Link stood up and took my plate, turning his back to me to take them to the sink.

"Thank you," I said softly.

He looked up over the counter. "You're welcome."

"No... I meant... for what you said."

"Why would you thank me for that?" The dishes clattered as he put them in the sink.

"It..." I hesitated. "It was just..." I brought my hand to my face. "Okay, so it may have been the nicest compliment I've ever gotten in my life."

Link looked up at me again. "What?" he said. "How?"

"... Because it was genuine."

"You've never gotten a genuine compliment before?"

"No, I have... from Urbosa. She's really great to me, and we're friends... she compliments my writing, and my determination to reach my goals... And she..." I trailed off and did not continue.

"What makes 'you're not people' so much higher of a compliment than any of hers?"

"Because..." I bit my lip. "You're not people either."

He didn't look at me, and a silence started to stretch.

Link broke it before it became too painful. "Have you played the newest Legends game?" he asked.

I shook my head "No, I haven't gotten the chance."

"Would you like to?"