Back Home

Reaching home with a bag of premade excuses and a stock of pity provoking faces, I braced myself for the worst case scenario.

But I ended up shocked for two hours straight on finding out that it had been only two hours since I left. My guide aka bodyguard had only just noticed my disappearance and so bought my lie of visiting an old friend.

And my capability in imagination was tested when it was time to explain the dirt smudged across my pink tee and the torn black-jeans. I almost dropped to my knees in relief when they decided against calling my parents and giving a detailed report.

It was hard for me to believe that they did not see through my suspicious smile and nervous laughter. That night I slept with a new back of memories to recollect and relive, but the morning was filled with tears and frustration of realizing that the curse hadn't been broken.

"Beth, did you wash your hands?" Margret, a woman in her early forties looked at me pointedly as I tiptoed out of the kitchen with a plate of abducted pancakes.

"I did see." It was while I showed her my wet hands in an answer that we heard a sudden clatter of cutlery from the dinning. But it was the sound that followed that made me push forward.

I paused in my steps at the doorway. "Theresa," Margret called out in concern as she rushed into the room past me.

She shook her slightly willing her to wake, and her eyes fluttered open for a fraction of a second before she lost consciousness again. When Margret proceeded to lift her head onto her lap, I held out my hand for her to stop. "Don't do that."

She looked at me in doubt, her eyes lined in tears, but gently laid her back onto the ground. Margret hovered over us with her phone dialing for John, my guide as I lifter Theresa' legs to increase the blood flow to her head.

Beads of sweat lined her ashen face and her lips pressed into a straight line as she once again regained consciousness. Margret cried with relief and explained to the voice resounding through the phone of the current situation.

I advised her not to get to prevent her from fainting again. On John's arrival, we carried her to the car and drove to the nearest hospital.

While waiting for news on her condition I happened to overhear the conversation between two men. "One more has come down with the mysterious fever." The man with dirty blonde hair and a pair of compatible warm-brown orbs said to the man sitting to his left.

The term 'mysterious fever' left me leaning forward. "I heard the doctors are having a hard time trying to find what it is."

I no longer tried as hard to eavesdrop and looked at Margret. Her eyes were closed shut and her lips moved in silent prayer. "Margret." I called, her blood-shot eyes blinked open. "I have to use the restroom."

She barely managed to nod and I got up, taking count of the patiently waiting families.

The classic tricks always works.

..................................................................................

I went straight into the casualty.

Upon checking, I found his temperature to be alarmingly high.

Before I could inquire about his condition, a doctor came up to me and asked me to leave.

.................................................................................

Nodding obediently when being warned, I left not lingering on the glares. On my way, I decided to tell Margret and John about my strange ability. I called them to the cafeteria and we talked over coffee. When I finished, Margret very much wanted to believe me, but struggled with doubts, while John set down his cup and stared at me as though I had suddenly grown two heads.