Chapter Six

"The walls of Moria," Gimli said in awe as we walked along the edge of a dark lake. He seemed to like this place; however, I did not enjoy it at all. The darkness seemed to occupy the air and the murky water sending shivers down my spine.

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed," Gimli continued, banging his aze against the rock face.

"Yes, Gimli," Gandalf replied, "their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten.

Legolas glanced down at Gimli. "Why doesn't that surprise me?"

Gimli grunted at that remark, and I couldn't' help but smile from behind them. The rivalry going on between them was remarkably entertaining.

Gandalf stopped at a very smooth part of the sheer rock wall and began to speak. "Itidin...it mirrors only starlight and moonlight," he said quietly and stepped aside so the moon can shine upon the rock face.

Silver lines then form creating an arch doorway with beautiful designs of trees upon it. Despite my fear, I was amazed at the intricate beauty of this entrance as words in elvish appeared.

"It reads, 'The door of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter.'" Gandalf translated.

"What does that supposed to mean?" Merry asked doubtfully.

Gandalf smiles. "It is quite simple. If you are a friend you speak the password and the doors will open," he says with high confidence before turning to the door and saying something I didn't understand. We all waited in anticipation for the doors to open, but they didn't.

Gandalf tried again, but again, but still, the doors did not open.

"Nothing's happening," Pipping said, pointing out the obvious, looking up at me.

"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of the elves, men, and orcs," Gandalf grumbled to himself. 

"What are you going to do, then?" Pippin asked.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took!" Gandalf snapped, and I found myself trying to shelter the small hobbit from the wizard's anger. Gandalf continued. "And if that does not shatter them and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions I will try to find the opening words." He ended and finally sat down in frustration grumbling to himself.

Gandalf tried a few more times after that, each one proving to be just as fruitless as the next.

"Is there no other way we can go?" I asked Gandalf, growing tired of watching this.

"The ringbearer has decided, Adolpha," he said in an exasperated tone. 

"But you don't want to go through Moria. There is something in there that you are afraid of."

Gandalf glanced up at me. He looked like he was about to reply, but Frodo walked up.

"It's a riddle," he said. "Speak friend and enter. What is the elvish word for friend?"

'Mellon,' Gandalf replied, and at once the doors opened to the dark within. Everyone stopped what they were doing, and we all walked into the darkness.

"So, master elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the dwarves; roaring fires, malt beer, red meat off the bone. This, my friend, is the home of my cousin, Balin. And they call this a Mine," Gimli said to Legolas before he suddenly snorted. "A mine!"

Gandalf illuminated the end of his staff, and I recoiled in shock at what I saw. Skeletons of dwarves were everywhere! Still, in their armor, they were peppered in arrows and had their limbs bent in gruesome angles.