38: The TIME IS NIGH

Alyssa Mells POV

Birthdays, from what I now know, are worth celebrating. I remember my first birthday at the Allisons very well - the presents, the cake - but most importantly, they cared. And they never stopped caring.

The lights turned off and my heart sped up - I remember Axels sixteenth birthday - it was something that I was honored to be apart of. The lights off, the cake lit. And the Allisons chanting.

Happy Birthday to you

Just like they were doing for me now. I met each of their gazes, Axel stood off to the side, leaning against the sink smiling. Amy was beside me and Mr and Mrs Allison were on my other side.

Happy.

This was indeed a happy birthday.

"It's ten o'clock." Amy whispered. And that's when I felt it.

My body started to tingle and shivers ran down my spine. Rosie spoke to me about this - the feeling you get when you find your mate.

Mate.

Scents filled my nose that my mouth watered, the cake sat in front of me as everyone finished the last verse.

I blew out the candles.

My carmel eyes met with chocolate brown ones.

And his scent -

Pepermint.

Vanilla.

Melted chocolate.

The cake was cut and my eyes remaind on Axel. Axel.

Axel Allison was my mate.

Knees weak, mouth parted, I stared at Axel - and he stared back. A slight smirk to his lips - his chest nut hair slightly messy from lying on my shoulder. He had known - heck, he had known for years.

Axel continued to stare, our eyes never leaving as I was pulled into a bond that was inevitably always there. Something that made my blood sing, my body go hot and cold. And my mouth, it watered continuously. I no longer felt bad - having to supress all those thoughts I had about Axel. It was meant to me and somewhere deep down I knew it. He had seen me everyday - every second of his life and  the glint in his eye told me exactly what he wanted.

He wanted me.

And I know that I want him. I don't know how but I definitely want it. My mate. My mate stood so close and yet my body wouldn't move, I was stuck staring at the perfectly chiseled jaw - the deep brown eyes - the slight upturned lips - the very facial features that made up my mate.

I didn't know how to walk - I think I stopped breathing. All I could smell was him. The years - Amy had told me I always had a strong scent - that she could smell me in the fog of the shower. What that must have done to my poor mate. But he waited - and stayed. And never told me - waiting.

I broke his gaze when Amy shoved a plate of cake into my hands. "Happy birthday." She smiled knowingly - she knew. Amy knew, had she always known? No. Amy hadn't always known - she probably found out recently. I involuntarily whinned, my gaze shifting back to him. Molly barked below me as Amy led me to my seat, eating in semi-darkness. Everyone in the room seemed to hold their breath.

I had a few bites - my eyes staring at Axel - who continued to stare right back. I had to refrain myself from flinging my body across the table at him. To kiss him. And my little wolf purred - we wanted to mark him.

I purred at the thought - my wolf did - and I'm pretty sure Axel could smell it - taste what I wanted to do to him. In my head that sounded nasty - probably would be after I sunk my teeth into his flesh to mark him as mine.

Female wolves usually don't mark their mates - usually rather be marked.

But my wolf and I wanted to bite him. To mark him - in mate bond and just mark him.

The celebration was over and Amy dragged me up the stairs. Molly trailing after us. The same dog who followed not only me - but my mate. I kept throwing glances behind me - Axel watching me walk up the stairs away from him. What was I going to do?

I waited - half an hour. Then a full hour. Then an hour and a half.

I still couldn't process it. Him. Axel. Axel was mine. But - he was Amys brother. Amy; my best friend. Her brother.

What has the moongoddess gotten me into?

But I couldn't push the thought away -

My best friends brother is my mate.