Happy Little Family Of Surgeons

Mom and dad were at the court house to put their marriage on paper to help the adoption date get picked up quicker. 

"Dinner's ready!" I go over to the kitchen. 

"So, Em, how's school?" Aunt Lexie asks.

"It's great! I mean, it's online so I don't really have any friends. But I'm almost done with 8th grade. I understand and retain information really well!" I was breezing on through grades really quickly.

"That's incredible, Em! So Mer tells m-" The pager goes off. 

"I'll get the dishes, you get the keys?" She nods. I was used to it by this point. Dad would be at work and mom would paged, ironically to help one of his patients sometimes, and mom would find her keys and purse while I got stuff put together.

       We were in sync and in the car in 5 minutes, the hospital only being 5-7 minutes away. We walked into the hospital, I got out my laptop and started doing schoolwork. 

"Amity!? What are you doing here?" 

"Aunt Lexie was paged, probably for the same reason as you and dad, big case?" 

"Must be," Mom said rushing up to the surgical floor. Dad kisses my forehead,

"Love you honey." 

"Love you too, dad," A smile reaches my face. It never got old to hear one of my parents say that. A young women, 23 maybe? Sat next to me 10 minutes later.

"Who're you here for?" She asked.

"My aunt and parents."

"Oh Honey-"

"No, not like that! My parents are the surgeons," I say correcting and feeling bad for making her worry. 

"Oh," She says relieved. We talk and I find her boyfriend is the one they admitted to the hospital. He had been on his way to a ferry  so they could look at the water, it was how they met. Very romantic. But a large Semi had ran over his car, literally. Somehow he's still alive, for now. No wonder everyone was paged, it concerned most services.

"Don't worry, these are some of the best surgeons ever and I mean it too. As my dad always says, 'It's a great day to save lives'." She smiles. I continue working on my schoolwork. I was hoping to be able to start finals within the next couple days. 

       I went upstairs and found an empty gallery to work in, I was using a borrowed key card from the nurses station.  About a half hour later they bring in car crush guy. I close my computer and watch the gallery fill up around me. It looked like there were going to be like, 3 surgeries at once. 

     I saw my mom and dad walk in and look at me, 

"Why is my daughter in the gallery?" Mom asked a little mad. I stood and pressed the button to communicate down below,

"Learning opportunity?" I shrugged, hoping to watch. My mom nodded skeptically.

"It's a great day to save lives, people," Dad said and the surgery commenced.

AFTER

      I ran down and hugged my parents,

"That was amazing! You saved a man who no one would have believed to be able to survive! That was incredible!" I said in wonder as my parents and I walked down the hall. They laughed a little,

"No, mom. I'm serious. You saved a man and now he gets to go back to his girlfriend and maybe start a family, have a little girl or boy to raise and watch go off to school. All because you did the impossible and saved him. I think I want to do that some day,"

"Really, you want to be a surgeon?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, why? Do I not seem qualified?" I say scared. I don't think anything could hurt me more than my parents don't believe in me.

"Honey, I don't think anyone else could be a better surgeon,"

"Maybe I'll win an award, and I'll say that my two incredible, inspiring parents are the reason I did it," My dad just hugs me, I hug back tightly. Mom joins in on the hug. Happy little family of surgeons.