Chapter 76

SO COLD

The tension in the house was an uninvited guest. A tangible being, asphyxiating in its' grab. Like a snuff of air. Choking lungs. Veiny throats. Bulging eyes. Frantic inhales for air. It was like watching a close-up of a drop of sweat down the slope of a forehead: restless with anxiety on the next move. Cebrián was a wildcard, an unexpected Saving Grace. His strong features were hard, slanted eyes blackened with ire. His promise of orchestrating a massacre was a palpable, throbbing threat the mayor would be inane to ignore. John Eason raised both hands as a white flag, tone light as he asked for the two armed guards beside him to control their quick trigger fingers and spinning heels. He addressed the father and son. "Now is this any way gentlemen conduct business?" Smarmy. It took a moment to realise what was so repulsive about him: his skin was slick with slime. Utterly and unequivocally repulsive.

The rage of the man beside me was unruly. His hand reached for my semiautomatic and he raised both guns at the guards with their aim at his father. He was apoplectic, flushed with hatred. "Lower your weapons. I promise you I won't ask a second time."

"Let's not act hasty," John Eason waved a hand for the guards to do as Cole ordered: They didn't hesitate, guns lowered to their sides, obedient dogs at the heel of their master. John Eason flashed a smile that was as artificial as the light above us. "Call your men to stand down. There's no need for a bloodshed. It'll be hard to hush the media if there's so much as a hair amiss."

Cebrián exhaled through his nose, a quick shot of breath to express his disdain and mock amusement as he patted the mayor down, hands under his suit jacket, finding a semiautomatic strapped to his side and unarming him. "Spilt blood is inevitable in this line of work. Perhaps you should've stayed in the office."

The first intruder who had so quickly raised a gun to Irvin's head was impassive to James' threat. He remained still, blue eyes dull and unwavering. Quick as a reflex, he shifted slightly to avoid James' attempt to disarm, and raised his gun to him.

The pressure between the two men was a hair-strain away from triggering the bloodshed the mayor hoped to avoid.

"Stand down." John Eason commanded immediately. "I said, stand down!"

The intruder lowered a stiff arm.

John Eason exhaled, smiling once more. "As a gesture of good will, I'll call my men back and hope you see fit to do the same."

Cole bristled in displeasure.

"Be careful of your tongue that holds no power." Cebrián told. "You are outnumbered–"

"How sure are you?" Eason goaded, eyes travelling upwards, along the staircase, across the ceiling.

"You may have arrived with success in your favour but you have not taken into account my men who've followed in the steps of those you employ," Cebrián followed Eason's gaze. "A man with clean manicured hands such as yours is a coward who can only lead others into an ambush. You're a woman in a suit. Now whilst your men are gathered like schoolchildren, let us take to the study and you can argue the usefulness of your existence."