Chapter Twenty Three

“Hey” Sam smiled at Aaron as she slipped in the chair across from him at the café across from her building.

“Hi. How is Elaine?” Aaron asked as he removed his tie and folded it across his hand.

“She is okay I guess. I mean she agreed to the trip but I don’t know how to explain it. It is like she has forgotten her life. Yes she lost her memory from the past week but what about the years before that?” Sam’s voice broke. She couldn’t look at Elaine in such condition. She was barely eating and whenever Sam tried talking to her she would just tune her out.

Aaron simply nodded; a knot forming in his chest.

“Last night I started talking about Will” Sam let out a sob. “She didn’t react at all and it was tearing me apart Aaron”

“Sam…” Aaron placed his hand on top of hers. “It will be fine. She will get better, just give it time” but even to his ears those words sounded hollow.

He was losing sleep at night wondering if Elaine would ever want him back.

Sam grabbed a tissue and wiped her tears. Aaron noticed the engagement ring along with a wedding band on her finger.

“You were married to Will?”

“No we were engaged. Tell me about the plans for today” Sam said changing the topic.

“We are going to Greece. I have a private island off the main shore so it will be secluded and a perfect place for Elaine to be. You guys will take the private jet today evening. Once you land on the airport, my people will take you the villa.”

“What about you?”

“I will be flying out tomorrow morning. I have some business that needs to be handled. Call me immediately if any problem comes up.”

“Where will you be staying? I mean---“

“I will be in the guest house off the grounds of the villa”

“I hope this works”

“It will. I just want things to go back to normal.” Aaron said as he asked for the bill. He placed a few bills and got up, buttoning his suit jacket. “I have to go now. Call me when you are about to board.”

“Sure will”

Aaron walked out of the café and got into the waiting car.

Upon reaching his office he called out to Cecelia.

“Yes Sir?” Cecelia said as she fell in stride with her boss.

“I want Jeremy Bennett in my office within the next hour.” Aaron said.

Jeremy was a college friend, who was now an excellent PI. Aaron needed every single detail of that asshole Franco’s life. He also wanted Olivia investigated. He knew she was not done with him so he was going to stay prepared. He had never violated her privacy when they were together but now he was no longer bounded by that.

“Anything else? Your 2 o' clock will be here shortly. Should I set them up in conference room three?”

“Who is at 2 o’ clock?”

“The French hotel chain, who had proposed a merger last month.”

“Okay.” Aaron nodded and pushed open his office door.

He had just proof read a contract and marked out various clauses he wanted edited when there was knock on his door.

“Come in”