Chapter 35 - Black and Yellow

---

Chapter 35 - Black and Yellow

--- 

 Zoe had mentioned the Elites changed up the training grounds once a month to keep it fresh, but Athira hadn't realised just how much they changed. She'd assumed 'changing the grounds' meant a few of the paths on the climbing walls, or perhaps trading a few of Talia's old rocks for slightly newer ones, possible of different compositions. 

Not the whole damned place. 

The climbing walls and various other obstacles, both colour and physical, were all completely new. At first glance, she couldn't have guessed half their purposes if she tried, but they weren't the main change to the room, or the thing that drew her eye. 

Talia's section of earthen ground had been moved from its central position to the back right corner. In its place was a rectangular padded area nearly three times the size and edged in grey, elasticy rope that criss-crossed itself all the way up to the ceiling. That in itself was higher than space would usually allow due to the arena being set nearly a metre in the ground. 

All in all, thought Athira. It's supposed to be impressive. 

Athira found it hard to be awed, even without the thought of the Underground's cage in the back of her mind. Anger was still simmering at the forefront of her movements, cutting them into sharp edges. 

They wanted to take Zoe? Her Zoe? 

She had to restrain herself from thumping the wall. She'd been right about these Elites. Wrong to believe for a second in Shift or Zoe's pleading that they might have some place in society. Right to send them the worst criminals she could find, let evil sort itself out. 

And yet, what annoyed her the most is that she'd triggered this retribution. 

Going after the machine, blowing their project to pieces and suggesting that the Herald knows about their precious Spectrum. Stupid, Athira. Plain stupid. Make them think Zoe's in the firing line. Genius. 

The final Elite, some idiot in a green suit, strutted his way in and took his place at the edge of the group. Athira spared him a glance under her frown before her eyes slid to the blue Elites talking softly with Discord. 

Athira thought nothing of Discord. As far as she was concerned, he'd managed his way to Elite purely with his tongue. She doubted he had the colour to back it up. Even the blue male Elite beside him was unimpressive. 

But the woman with the aqua ink patterned across her face? She was different. She held herself with squared shoulders, colour practically oozing from her pores. Something about the markings made her cringe internally, igniting some childlike instinct to hide under the blankets from her gaze. 

Athira quenched the thought. Whoever she was, she was clearly in charge of the supposedly equal group. 

Uh huh, something whispered. I think we both know that's not why you're nervous. 

Athira didn't have a reply for it. The uncertainty dried the words right up and bred a wariness that was enough to cool the urge to bring the tower down around their smug little heads... for the moment.

She turned to Shift. He'd placed himself beside Zoe and was sandwiched by Raph with Kione behind. 

All between Zoe and the Elites. 

Athira beckoned him forward and leaned in close. 

"Whatever happens, don't let Zoe out of your sight," she murmured. "They might try to take her while I'm distracted with Discord. You just need to delay them long enough for me to catch up."