Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-four

Nicole was elbow deep in bread dough, learning from Hallie the best way to make it from scratch, when Cavanaugh and Jamison walked in. Nicole could tell instantly by the drawn expression on Cavanaugh's face and the tension in his shoulders that something serious had happened with Jamison, "I'll have to finish my lesson later," she said with an apologetic smile at Hallie.

The little red head nodded, "Of course. You seem to be a natural anyway," she replied.

Nicole went to Cavanaugh and he took her hand and headed toward the door, "I'm getting us a room at the hotel. We'll be back for dinner," he stated and then they left.

Cavanaugh didn't speak as he led Nicole to the hotel. He told the clerk to put the room on a tab for Cavanaugh McEllis, explaining that he was Jamison's brother and the clerk nodded and sent them up to the third floor and an empty room.

Once Nicole and Cavanaugh were locked alone inside, Cavanaugh turned and pulled her into his arms. He pressed his lips to hers and devoured her mouth, stealing her breath and her senses. With a speed and a desperate hunger that Nicole had never felt from him before Cavanaugh began stripping her clothes from her body, not seeming to notice when fabric tore and buttons popped. Nicole matched his ferocity, and soon they were both naked and hot and he was throwing her down on the bed.

Cavanaugh lost himself in her heated touches and hungry kisses and took her hard and fast, lasting only moments before toppling over the edge of release and burying his face in her neck.

"I'm sorry," he whispered with shame when he realized he hadn't even taken the time to make sure she found release as well. He'd just been so desperate to have her. So desperate to feel himself inside of her that he really hadn't given any thought to what she would want and need.

"For what?" Nicole gasped as she struggled to calm down her heart beneath him.

"For not taking my time," he admitted. "And for using you to burn off some stress and anger that I still had burning inside. I shouldn't have done that."

"Cavanaugh, I'm your woman. That's what I'm for. And just so you know, I am more than satisfied," she assured him as she ran her fingers through his unruly blond hair.

Cavanaugh sighed and moved off of her, curling on his side and pulling her body against him. A few weeks ago Nicole would have been mortified to be naked in the broad daylight with a mans' eyes roaming over her every flaw, but not now. Not with this man.

"What did Jamison show you?" Nicole asked after several moments of quiet.

Cavanaugh's fingers paused for a moment in their caress of her bare arm but they quickly started back, "He found the men responsible for what happened to my family."

Nicole rose up on her elbow so she could look at him more easily, "He did?" she asked with surprise. "Where are they?"

"Dead," Cavanaugh replied coldly. "I killed them both." Nicole's eyes widened and Cavanaugh searched them for disgust but found none. Instead they were shining with approval.

"Good. They deserved it after what they took from you. Did they at least tell you why?"

"Maxwell Crenshaw wanted my land. I wouldn't sell it so he hired Van, a ranch hand, to come kill my family and run me off."

"Over land? They killed them over land?"

"Yes," Cavanaugh ground out between clenched teeth.