Lucky 13...Right?

(That bow is part of the outfit, her hair is straight and her "bangs"are being pinned by the bow) (not really bangs because it's as long as her regular hair

(That bow is part of the outfit, her hair is straight and her "bangs"are being pinned by the bow) (not really bangs because it's as long as her regular hair.)

      I walked into the living room to see Aunt Lexie. 

"Happy 13th kiddo," 

"Thanks Aunt Lexie, where are mom and dad," 

"Oh, sweetie.."

"Emergency surgery?" She nods.

"Don't be ma-"

"I could never be mad at them, I'm a little disappointed. But they're trying to save lives, and their jobs. How could you be mad at that?" I say, shrugging. She walks over and kisses my forehead. 

"I'm proud of you, kid. Your parents couldn't do much better," She says, making me smile. She finishes breakfast and drives us to the hospital.

-_-_-_O-_-_-_LATER-_-_-_-_
            /|\   
             /\

     I walk through the doors to a place that would smell like sterilization fluids, vomit and awful cafeteria food. So either a hospital or a school, it's the first one. But to me it's more like home. Lexie dropped me off, something about her dad. I walk up to the residents/attendings lounge to see mom, dad, Izzy, Bailey (I'm too scared to call her Meranda, Alex, aunt Christina, uncle Mark, etc. 

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Amity, happy birthday to you," I blow out the candles. 

"Shouldn't you all be, I don't know...be saving lives and your jobs?"

"We couldn't miss celebrating your birthday, Kiddo! But after my present I'll have to go," I chuckle.

"Thanks Uncle Mark, but you all better be coming back in for cake," I gave Izzy a knowing look. They can't bake, only Izzy could have done it. 

      I open presents quickly and efficiently. Izzy and Alex gave me some old books from med-school, which of course I see for the value of knowledge. Mark gave me a lab coat- Pre MD Amity Grey-Shepherd. Christina gave me a pager. Richard gave me the freedom to use these gifts around the hospital. Arizona gave me a few books of stickers and other fun things so I could help her with pre and post OP patients. Bailey gave me some scrubs and a key card, mostly to make me feel special but so I could track down people in the OR rooms who weren't answering their pagers. The list went on, But mom and dad gave me the best gift in the world. I didn't know that until after they explained.

"October 26th?" I read from the otherwise plain piece of paper.

"It's the day we go to court. We're making your adoption official," I ran and hugged them. Sobbing into my dad's shoulder. This is really gonna happen. Mom and dad were crying too. 

"Now, go save some lives," I say smiling. Dad wipes my tears and kisses my head. Mom kisses my head too.

"Don't forget your classes," Mom says before running out. I smile and change into my lab coat. I add my pager to my waist along with attaching my key card to my lab coat. I start my online classes, after about an hour or so it says I can take my final in a few hours so I decide to walk around the hospital. I head down to the cafeteria for some lunch, I throw the lime jello away before even sitting down. I eat the barely edible food that I had accustomed myself to.

     I walk downstairs to try and find mom and Christina to relay the news. I find mom yelling at Alex

"Uhh Mer-" He points at the man walking in with aunt Lexie. 

TIME SKIP-

     I sit with Lexie in her dad's room he's also mom's bio dad but, it's complicated. 

"So, who are you? I mean, you're way too young to be a doctor," He observes politely. I remember I'm in my coat.

"I'm Amity, I'm your daughter, Meredith's adoptive daughter," He seemed absolutely shocked.

"So, why the doctor look?"

"It's my birthday and everyone gave me doctor stuff. I'm gonna be a doctor when I'm older."

"Huh," He says simply. I hug aunt Lexie and go up to take my final.

----------

      '100%' The screen reads. I smile and run to 'doctor central' as I like to call it. I page mom and dad. About 10 minutes later they meet up with me. I show them the printed piece of paper.

"Oh honey! Congrats we're so proud!" Mom says sounding genuine. I hug her and let them get back to whatever.

      I get congrats throughout day. I see mom on the board for surgery. What's wrong with mom? I start hyperventilating. No, what's wrong with mom? She can't be leaving me, she can't die on me. I can't lose another mom. 

"Breath, breath," I hear. My breathing calms, but the tears keep coming.

"Hey, Amity, what's wrong?" I look up at the blond.

"Mom's in surgery, why is she in surrgery? She can't di-"

"Your mom's not gonna die," Sh looks up at the board and laughes.

"Why are you laughing?" I say sniffiling. 

"She's doing a transplant for... your grandfather," She says fading off. 

"Oh,"

"But you're coming to the peds ward, young lady,"

"What, why?" I say not wanting to go back.

"I just want to make sure everything's ok. Just a small work-over,"

"But -"

"No buts, come on." I look up dreading it. 

-----

"Why the hell is my daughter in the ped's ward!" I hear from the hall, luckily, all the other doors were closed.

"Dad!" I say running out to him.

"Hey honey," He says kissing my head. Arizona explains what happens and says I can go home, or at least leave the ped's ward. This is gonna be fun to report to social services...