Part 68

"Dr. Carson was able to patch Gregory up," Jesus announced as he came into the room we had all congregated in after the attack, "He's in pain, but he'll live."

"So what happens now?" Michonne asked.

Jesus sighed, "Well, things like that usually don't happen here but, uh, it's settled."

"We heard the name Negan," Rick began, "A while back a few of us had a run in with some of his men; Abraham, Daryl, and Liz. Who is he?"

"Negan's the head of a group of people he calls the Saviors." Jesus began to explain before Daryl grabbed onto my hand, "As soon as the walls were build, the Saviors showed up. They met with Gregory on behalf of their boss and made a lot of demands, even more threats, and he killed one of us-- Rory." He sighed, "He was 16 years old.. they beat him to death right in front of us-- said we needed to understand, right off the bat." Jesus continued, "Gregory's not exactly good at confrontation-- he's not the leader I would've chosen, but he helped make this place what it is and the people like him."

"He made the deal.." Maggie spoke up.

"Half of everything." Jesus added, "Our supplies, our crops, our livestock-- it goes to the Saviors."

"And what do you get in return?" Glenn asked.

"They don't attack this place-- they don't kill us." Jesus shrugged.

I scoffed lightly, "They don't sound much like saviors."

"Why not just kill 'em?" Daryl asked, his voice raspy.

Jesus shook his head, "Most of the people here don't even know how to fight, even if we had ammo."

"Well, how many people does Negan have?" Rick asked.

"We don't know," Jesus answered honestly, "We've seen groups as big as 20-"

"Now, hold up." Daryl stopped him, "So they show up, they kill a kid, and you give 'em half of everything?" He scoffed, "These dicks just got a good story-- the bogeyman, he ain't shit."

"Well, how do you know?" Jesus asked.

"A month ago, we took his guys out PDQ-- left them in pieces and puddles." Abraham informed, "No more than a week ago, Daryl and Liz took out another two-- straight headshots."

"You know, we'll do it." Daryl offered, leaving me with a pit in my stomach, "If we go get you man back, kill Negan, and take out his boys, will you hook us up? We want food, medicine, and one of 'em cows."

Rick shrugged at Daryl's willingness, not seeming fazed by the drastic measures, "Confrontation's never been something we've had trouble with."

Jesus nodded, thinking it over in his head, "Well, I'll take it to Gregory."

***

I found myself wandering the halls of the large building, far from the rest of the group, as I slipped away to think over how I felt about the deal that may have just been made.

I knew now that living in this world meant that people were going to die, and not just by the dead, but also at the hand of those who were still living, it's just.. I hated the thought of it.

When Alexandria got attacked by that first group, I knew those people deserved what happened to them, but even now, I still find myself thinking about who they might have been before this all happened.. and who I was, because I know I'm not the same person that I used to be.
I never thought in a million years that I would have blood on my hands the way I do now, sometimes literally, or that I'd care so much about a group of people after what I've seen them do-- that I'd think of them as the family I never had.
It's weird to think that we're supposed to be the good guys when we're doing exactly what the bad guys are doing; we're all killing to survive in a world that doesn't belong to us anymore.

"What're ya doin' up here?" Daryl asked as he walked up behind me, causing me to glance back at him before I turned my attention back towards the window I ended up at, mindlessly staring out of it.

"Just thinking." I shrugged, "Has Maggie made the deal yet?"

"Nah," Daryl shook his head, leaning up against the wall beside the window ledge, "She's talkin' to Gregory now."

I nodded slowly, not sure what to say because I didn't know what I hoped the outcome would be. We needed food and more supplies but.. how is this the only option to get enough of it?

"I woulda, ya know." Daryl murmured, breaking the silence, "I woulda killed him."

"I know," I breathed, looking at the old, wooden floors beneath my feet before I looked up at him, "But I'm glad you didn't."

He shook his head, "I wanted to-- when he put his hands on ya.. that's all I wanted to do-"

"Then why didn't you?" I interrupted him, my mind jumbled with what I was feeling, "It's not like you haven't before."

Daryl shrugged, "'Cause ya told me not to."

I scoffed lightly at his response, "But you were so willing to offer to kill the Saviors; how's that any different?"

He furrowed his brows at me through the messy hair that hung down over his face, "We're doin' this for our group-- we all need more supplies-"

"So.. what? We're just going to take the Hilltop's word, go in, and slaughter these people?" I asked, confused at the logic behind all of this, "What if- what if we were in their position instead? What if instead of the Saviors, it was us?"

"It ain't." Daryl stopped me, his voice rough as he straightened up, "Ya heard what they did to that kid, didn't ya? What if that kid was Mason?"

My heart sank as the familiar name rung through my ears; the memories it brought only being ones that I wish I could forget as I felt my bottom lip quiver, "Don't- don't bring him into this, Daryl-"

"Remember what happened at that store? Remember the shit they said to ya?" He continued, "Ya really think the Saviors are like us, Liz?"

I stayed silent, knowing he was right but not being able to admit it.

Daryl sighed before shaking his head, "I ain't gonna let what happened to that kid happen to any of us, and I sure as hell ain't gonna let any of 'em lay a hand on ya."

I looked up at him as I shrugged, my voice quiet, "I just wish there was another way."

_____
I've got a question for you guys: do you like when there's a bit of drama/conflict between Daryl and Liz? Or do you like it better when they all cute with each other?