Chapter Twenty Five

Double Update!
All your comments make me sooo happy!

Two days passed since that night on the beach. Aaron kept his distance. He didn’t want to scare her off or push her back into her shell. She smiled at him whenever she saw him and he usually waved back and went his way.

It was their fourth day on the island. The guards decided to set up a beach volleyball game. Sam and Elaine were lying in the sand some distance away from them.

“You said we had a fight and we didn’t talk to for a while?” Elaine said as she glanced at Sam who was reading a magazine.

From the past two days Elaine has slowly stepped out the shell. She willed herself to try harder, for her own sake and for the ones who cared for her. It was damn difficult but she was done disappointing the people who were trying to reach out to her.

Sam kept the magazine aside and sat up straight.

“Yeah we did.”

“What was it about?” Elaine sat up as well and faced her best friend.

“I told you I was going to adopt a baby. You know Will and I had decided to adopt. We had already put in a file. I had made the necessary changes and sent in the file again.”

“Yes I knew you both were planning on adopting but he is not longer around Sam. You will be a single mother.”

“I don’t care. I don’t want to be with someone else.”

“You are wearing a wedding band?” Elaine leaned forward and grasped her hand.

“Yes. I am getting my last name changed to Sparks”

“What? Are you sure I lost my memory for only a week?” Elaine asked

“So we can make jokes about the memory loss now?”

“Sam, I am serious. I…look I am myself not able to think straight right now…” She ran a hand through her hair and looked at Sam.

“Are you sure about all of this? This is your whole life you are talking about.”

“I have never been surer. There will no one else for me except for Will.”

“I am with you” Elaine said as she hugged Sam.

“This place is really working for you isn’t it?” Sam said through tears as she hugged her back.

“I guess it is” Elaine said quietly as she watched Aaron walk up to the guards.

They stopped the game and then Aaron said something to them gesturing with his hand which was followed by laughter; a moment later Aaron joined their game.

Elaine watched him play. He was wearing navy shorts with a white t shirt and had his shades on. He eased right into the game.

“He is a sight to look at isn’t he?”

“Says the woman who just pledged her eternal love to my brother”

“Look at you getting your sass back.” Sam said as she laughed. She studied Elaine and the slight smile on her face as she watched Aaron. Sam knew something happened between them and whatever the hell it was Sam was sure as hell glad for it.

“Hey I will be right back. Restroom break” Sam said and Elaine simply nodded in response.

The next moment was a slow motion. The ball flew their way and landed short of Elaine’s feet. The guard came running towards her.