38

A few weeks later

Prom was right around the corner and I was going crazy looking for a dress. Jahseh did a prom proposal to me at school even though he knew I was going to go with him anyways, but I didn't mind because it was cute.

Ashaunti tried helping me look for dresses on line but the shipping dates were a long wait and I needed a dress before next week.

I searched through the racks of prom dresses while Kamaya and Myaira did the same.

"Tay this dress is cute" Myaira said holding up a hot pink dress with ruffles at the bottom.

"That's basic. So many girls are going to arrive to prom in a dress like that" I told her.

"Jahseh likes the color black right? Just wear a black dress with fluffy ruffles at the bottom with like rhinestones at the top and stuff" Kamaya suggested.

I thought about it and realized that it was a good idea. But at the same time, I wasn't sure how I was going to look in all black.

"Ew no. She doesn't wanna look goth" Myaira told her.

"She's not going to look goth. Her and Jahseh will look good in all black" Kamaya said. "Y'all should wear matching chokers"

Myaira laughed and I shook my head.

"You're just jealous because your boyfriend can't rock chokers like mine without looking gay" I told her.

Over the past few weeks Kamaya, Myaira, Mark, and I've all gotten closer. It felt really good to have some siblings who were around the same age as me because we've all been in the same situation so we all understood each other more.

We were still building a relationship with our dad although Mark still didn't really like him.

I forgave him, but did I trust him? No. Not yet anyways. That was still going to take a lot of time.

My dad thought that by giving us money every few days, and buying us everything we wanted would buy our trust but it wasn't that easy.

Jahseh became use to my brother and sisters coming around but for some odd reason, him and Mark just didn't get along. They would never speak to each other when Mark came around, they wouldn't talk and there was just always tension between the two.

After about a hour we found the perfect dress that Kamaya had described. It actually did look good on me and the fit was perfect. We would be going back out tomorrow to search for shoes and some jewelry to go with it.

Myaira dropped me off in her car and we all went our separate ways.

I went inside and up to my room. When I opened the door Jahseh was laying in my bed sound asleep.

I went over and placed my prom dress in the closet and figured I'd just tell him about the all black idea later on when he woke up.

I went over to my dresser to search for some clothes so that I could get a shower.

Jahseh opened his eyes and looked at me with a mug causing me to laugh.

"What?" I asked him.

"Why you come in here making so much noise?"

"Sorryyyy. Why are you not in YOUR bed sleeping?" I asked him.