Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 1:3

Pronunciation Guide:

Orire N'jem=Oh-ree-reh en-jem

***

The low and soothing coo, coo, coo of the night birds was a welcome contrast to the chaos of earlier. Yenni's father had at last given out and collapsed from his chair, bringing the festivities to an abrupt end. Yenni's mother and youngest brother had rushed off with her father, while Yenni forced herself to push back her anxiety and stand with Dayo and her sisters to bid their guests farewell and assure them that everything was fine. Her siblings were far better at hiding their fear than she was, but she did her best.

Now she sat beside her parents' softgrass mattress, holding her father's hand and wondering how by all those divine she would leave tomorrow.

"For the last time, go to sleep, all of you," the Chieftain said, glancing around at his family. Yenni hated how weak and breathy his voice sounded. "We have a big day tomorrow."

She would receive her final blessing and runes tomorrow. She would leave for Cresh. Tomorrow. Yenni closed her eyes and breathed deep to still her fluttering heart, smelling the familiar sweet scent of the tree violets and relishing the hot breeze blowing in from the gap at the roof and the wall. Home.

Her brother and sisters each came up to hug the Chieftain and say goodnight, but Yenni didn't want to leave her father's side, even as Dayo, the last to leave, called to her from the doorway.

"I can stay," she burst out, ignoring him.

"You know you cannot," her mother said sharply from her seat on the other side of the large mattress. She still wore the beautiful blue and gold gown she'd put on for the feast, crumpled as it was. Yenni knew her Iyaya well enough to know the bite in her voice was not due to anger, but worry.

"You cannot," her father agreed. "You made a pact with the Sha."

Tears pricked Yenni's eyes. Her father squeezed her hand and sighed. He grunted as he pushed himself upright. "Dayo, fetch me my runepaint, there," he said, pointing to a dark shelf in the left corner of the room. Her brother hurried to obey.

"Now, leave us, I would talk to your sister in private."

He bowed. "As you wish, father. Goodnight."

With Dayo gone, Yenni's father turned his attention back to her. "I had hoped to do this tomorrow after your final blessing from the Masters," he said, pain lacing his voice. "But no matter. Come, give me your hand, I will teach you a new rune."

Yenni's eyes went wide. Each tribe had secret runes they kept carefully hidden from the others. Some were passed down only among the royal family, and only as the Masters deemed royal children ready and worthy. Some were known strictly among the Masters alone. Slowly, reverently, Yenni gave her hand to her father.

"Now, listen carefully." He sang her a rune hymn she had never heard before, the wordless tones of his voice bittersweet. As he sang his voice no longer shook, but came out strong. The hymn was not long, and he had Yenni repeat it twice after him.

"Very good. Watch and do as I do."

He dipped his brush in his paint and drew an unfamiliar rune, this one fluid and interconnecting, on her palm. His hand remained steady and sure. Yenni felt a brief warmth as the rune set, and her father kissed her hand before dropping it and handing her the brush.