Mean - 15

Ji-hye can't help but think that this is all a joke to Youngmin.

What else could be the possible reason, right? Why would Youngmin play with her and her feelings?

And she can't help but feel sorry for herself for not realizing earlier.

Of course, why would he treat her so much better all of a sudden when he was so expressive of his hatred for her in the past?

God, how can she be this stupid to fall for all his nice words and kind gestures? Clearly, it was all an act.

But Donghyun... He said something about Youngmin being "crazily in love" with her? Donghyun is not the type to lie, especially about something which involves someone else's feelings. That is as far as she knows. Unless...

Could it be? Could it be that she was caught in the middle of some bet? You know, the kind in which people play to see how long it would take for someone to fall only to let them drop in the end?

Wow... She can't believe it. Is it really possible for Youngmin and Donghyun and anyone else involved, if it is actually the case, to go that low?

She is seriously having the worst case of headache.

Probably, heartache, too?

"Ji-hye."

She didn't even notice that she fell asleep until she was woken up by a gentle voice. Eyes half-open, she raised her head to see Donghyun, who strangely isn't wearing a smile today.

"Are you okay?"

Unable to process anything yet, she nods mindlessly before covering her mouth and drawing a yawn. "What time is it, Donghyun?"

"It's still thirty minutes before first bell."

Ji-hye looks around, and it seems that what Donghyun said is correct since most of the class haven't arrived yet.

"Why did you wake me up, though?"

He sighs. "I was just worried. I was the second to come here after you, and you've been asleep ever since."

Ji-hye doesn't know what to make of what Donghyun said. If she is right that this person in front of her is really involved with all the games Youngmin is playing on her, how can he say such things right now?

"I'm okay."

"How could you flat-out lie to me like that?" Donghyun remarks.

She's taken aback by his words.

"Do you want to go out for a walk?" He asks. Ji-hye doesn't even know why but she agrees.

"I think it's better if we talk outside because people are starting to arrive," Donghyun explains. "I think we could also use some fresh air." He then gives her a small smile.

Now that Ji-hye is fully awake thanks to the cool morning breeze, she notices the small, purple bruise on the left corner of Donghyun's lips.

"What--"

He cuts her off. "It's nothing."

Ji-hye sees this as a chance to get back at him. "How could you flat-out lie to me like that?"

This causes both of them to burst in laughter.

"Seriously, though. What happened to you?"

"You don't have to know."

She gives up asking and they fall silent while strolling around the campus.

"I'm so sorry, Ji-hye."

"About the chocolate mousse?"

"No..." He pauses. "Yes? Ahhh, I don't know!" He sighs in frustration. "I swear, chocolate mousse really is his favorite! I don't know what's gotten into him."

Neither does she.

"It's like the black hair dye got into his brain and poisoned it or something like that," he mumbles but Ji-hye hears and she chuckles.

"I'm so sorry," he says while looking at his feet.

She does not know what to say.

"I'm sorry because I feel like I led you on. I feel like it's all the more difficult for you right now because I told you that one time that... That maybe, he's in love with you."

Ji-hye looks down.

"As his best friend -- or am I still? -- I honestly thought he was. From the way he looks at you. From the way his eyes light up when he hears your name..."

"Please stop," she says and bites her lower lip hard that she can feel it bleeding.

Donghyun respects her request and stays quiet.

"I thought you were playing a bet," she whispers.

Donghyun comes to an abrupt stop. His eyes wide open, he turns to look at Ji-hye. "Oh God..." He pauses for a while, seemingly shocked at her confession. "No, no, Ji-hye, I would never do that. Youngmin, although he seems like an asshole right now, would never do that, as well."

They come to a stop near the main entrance to the campus.

"Then why? Why is he like this?" Her voice breaks and her eyes suddenly feel hot.

"Shit, shit! Don't cry, please," Donghyun says in panic.

Too late, however, since Ji-hye's tears are already falling.

"God, no, please stop crying. Damn it! What do I do?"

While she is sobbing and he is panicking, Youngmin can be seen entering the campus and he is not alone.

And although her vision is blurred, she knows too well that it is Hayoung he's with, and he's carrying her bag.

The way he used to, for her.

Donghyun, who seems to have noticed their presence, pulls Ji-hye to a hug, and she automatically buries her face on his shoulders.

"I'm so sorry because honestly, I don't know," Donghyun whispers as he holds her head gently while tapping her back. She cries harder.

---------------

Again, pls don't hate me for this and trust me when I say that there  a l w a y s  is a reason why people act a certain way

You are about to find out soon enough so pls be patient and enjoy the rollercoaster ride with me for now

Also, this is nearing its end already anyway, so I hope everyone stays to see how it goes until then <3

bYE I'M OFF TO SCHOOL