Kindness

Thaddeus spent a few days away for something in Lincoln, in a port town called Boston. He mentioned something about trade, but I barely understand anything about ships. I hadn't even been to the sea.

I was allowed to go nowhere and it was making me anxious. I spent my days sleeping or next to the window soaking up the sun on my skin as best as I could.

There were only two boys allowed in my room. They changed the linens, brought me food, and anything I could have asked for. One of them brought me three new dresses. They were the most beautiful work I had ever seen.

The first was a blue and green silk gown in a style I hadn't ever seen. The body was lace that trailed into a thick silk skirting. It felt amazing to my touch.

The second was blood red. The design had black imprinted flowers along the body and skirting. A white lace lined the breast and shoulders, topped with a red velvet flower on the belt line in the front.

The third was my favorite. It had an underlay of pink topped with black lace with a rose pattern. The corset was solid black silk. I wanted so badly to have an occasion to wear it. Would I ever get the chance?

I heard the familiar click of the door and turned to see two small girls come in. They were carrying buckets half their size. The steam that protruded from the bucket made me smile.

I watched them carry the buckets into the bathing room and pour them into the tub nearest the window. I watched the steam rise from the water.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed. I may have been a bit overexcited. A steaming bath in a tub big enough to swim in made my heart want to fly.
Both girls paused to look at me and blushed simultaneously.

"His majesty has ordered you a bath m'lady. We will be bringing boilin' buckets till the bath is to your liking." The taller of the two girls said. They both bowed their heads and hurried out the door.

I stood in front of the arched window staring into the courtyard. I wanted so badly to walk in the grass again, I'd give anything to feel my feet in the dirt. Thaddeus had ordered me here like a prisoner. He seemed to open up to me yet he kept me pent up in this tower like a lepper.

I suppose going outside may mean certain death for me if I saw Nathaniel again. Why did he hate me so much? It was as though overnight his perception of me changed and it pained me not knowing why.

It took another half an hour or so for the girls to fill the tub. They were panting towards the end. I had a fruit tart tray still on the bed. I sat down next to it and waited for them to come out from the bath chamber.

"Excuse me." I said as they carried the last of the buckets out of the door. They stopped immediately.

"Yes m'lady?" The taller one said.

"I can't possibly eat all of these by myself." I said pointing to the few dozen tarts sitting on the silver tray. They were beautifully glazed with sugar on top of the foreign fruit. They looked like works of art and even I was amazed by them.

"I'd like you two to help me please." I cracked a smile at their faces. They both widened their eyes. I knew neither of them had ever tried these fruits before, they may have never even seen them. When I was in Weston, the kitchen girls weren't even allowed to touch the fruits or delicacies. The nobles were too afraid that they would become diseased from the touch.

"M'lady, we can't possibly t-"

"I strongly insist." I said sternly. They both looked as if they couldn't breathe. I started laughing.

"Just tell the master that I wished you two to bathe me if he asks why you were gone so long. Don't worry, I'll do it myself. You two eat." I stood up and motioned to the bed. The girls hesitated for a second, then sat.

"I already ate half the tray. It wouldn't do them justice to sit and rot." I said with a wink. They smiled widely and each grabbed a colorful tart, stuffing it into their mouths greedily. I could hear their moans from eating the delectable fruits as I skipped my way into the bath.

The feeling of the water scalding my naked skin was nearly as good as Thaddeus' kiss. It stung as I sat, my soreness was very clear. The burn in between my legs made me miss him even more. The girls had put rosemary in the water and I let myself succumb to the sensations all over my body.

I watched as the sun set through the window. My eyes traced the setting shadow moving across the room, engulfing it in darkness. I could still see everything almost vividly, as if the light was still shining. The details of even the brick outlines were obvious to me. It was like I saw the world in an entirely new light. I closed my eyes and drifted in and out of sleep.

I awoke to a pair of hands caressing my shoulders. I immediately got goosebumps and fought my fearful reaction.

"Thaddeus? I tho-" a hand cupped my mouth tightly. I tried to scream and my head was forced back painfully. Something covered my face and my mouth.

I clawed and fought, making contact with the arm of my attacker. I dug my nails onto the arm and felt them pulling flesh. The person hissed and temporarily let go. I jumped from the bath quickly and turned to face the body.

I laid eyes on Nathaniel. He was gripping his arm that was dripping with blood. His eyes were crimson, and his face stone cold. But what I saw next nearly made me scream.

I could see the skin on his arms and his neck. They were covered in the same black markings as Thaddeus. The wound from his fingertips to his arms... all the way up to his body and were covered by his blouse. They curled up just below his jawline and behind his neck.

"Well well. Now I know what all the fuss is about." He said softly. I could see his red eyes burning as they took in my naked figure.

"Why are you here?" I spat.

"He really never told you, did he? Still? Greedy greedy. He brought you here to kill you. But I suppose there is a special reason he hasn't..." He laughed darkly. It sent a shiver up my spine.

"I suppose if it came to fucking you or killing you, I'd have a hard time as well."

"I know what I'd choose for you." I said with gritted teeth, clenching my firsts. He laughed again and I wanted nothing more than to rip his tongue out of his mouth.

"Why are you doing this?" I whispered. I couldn't stand this game he wanted to play. I didn't want to die, certainly not by his hand.

"It's simple really." He said as he took a step towards me. I stepped back immediately.

"I made a vow once. Many years ago... and I plan on keeping it." He said simply. My eyes didn't leave him.

"Bitch." I heard a voice hiss behind me. Something hit me from behind. Nathaniel started laughing as I felt a screaming pain in my head. I fell to my knees and tried to stay awake. The pain was too great.