Chapter Seventeen

The walls in front of Credence and Persephone suddenly shattered into nothingness and the entity inside of Credence was obviously causing the destruction. They disintegrated until they found the man who caused all of this. Percival Graves stood several rooms in front of them, his face obviously showing regret. But that was not what Persephone was thinking about.

She was thinking about Credence. He was so innocent, yet so broken. He did not deserve this. If only he was not abused, maybe he would not be an Obscurial. Maybe he would be a true wizard. But it was the fact that he got adopted that brought them together. WIthout that, they would not have met. Persephone would not have learned love like this. Credence would be a completely different person. But that was not what happened. This was the reality. Credence was broken, as well as a dangerous entity. And, Persephone was standing next to him, possibly facing doom once the Obscurial takes over. She might die right now. But at least she would see Credence before she died to his wrath and anger. 

"Credence... I owe you an apology..." Percival said reluctantly.

Persephone could almost scoff, this was pathetic. 

"I trusted you. I thought you were my friend. That you were different."

The mist surrounded them, it was not even touching Persephone. But she was scared. She only heard of the things that happened to people who were attacked by uncontrolled Obscurus. It was horrible, she saw what happened to the other man who had gotten attacked by an Obscurus. 

"You can control it, Credence.

"But I don't think I want to, Mr. Graves," he whispered, looking up at the sinister man in front of them. 

Black tendrils move under Credence's skin, almost vein-like. And Persephone prepared for her inevitable fate. A loud roar was heard as she shut her eyes and she thought death was coming.

But it never came.

She was surrounded by black nothingness and it was eerily silent. Persephone could not see anything. All she could see was black and gray specks, almost like sand in the air. But she was not dead. Credence was in front of her and he seemed peaceful, his eyes closed. She did not know what to say or how to react, but she was just thankful to be alive.

"I know what you're thinking," Credence said in a hushed whisper.

"How am I alive?" she asked and took his hand in hers. 

He smiled slightly, though his eyes held sorrow, and grasped it tightly.

"I do not exactly know, but I know it is because the Obscurus is apart of me," he said, his eyes opening. 

Persephone let out a breath of relief and reached over to hug him tightly. She never missed a sensation more than this one. He always felt safe. Credence felt like home. 

"I missed you," she whispered.

She knew the Obscurial was moving, probably destroying the city. But this moment was too precious to waste and she could not control the dangerous dark mass. 

"I missed you too," he whispered as well, wrapping his arms around her. 

"Even when I didn't know who you are or what happened, I knew that something or someone was missing from my life. And it was always you."

She frowned and pulled away from the hug.

"But how? They obliviated you and you lost your memory."

He shrugged and shook his head.

"When the Obscurial started to come out, it was like my memory was restored. The darkness protected my memories."

Persephone smiled. She could not be more thankful. But there was now another thing they had to face. The were inside an Obscurus that was terrorizing the city. 

"It's destroying the city," she said softly and looked past the dark mass to see the lights go dim as they passed by and destroyed stone buildings.

Credence shook his head.

"I can't control it. I'm trying," he said and looked out as well.

His face contorted in anger as they seemed to approach Percival Graves once again. 

"To survive so long, with this inside you. You are a miracle. Come with me--think of what we could achieve together," he said alluringly and Persephone turned to Credence.

The black mass moved under his skin once again and the peaceful atmosphere was long gone. The Obscurus was now working alongside Credence. They flew toward Graves in anger and shook the ground. 

It scared Persephone. But she was not the one in control. She took Credence's hand.

"You have to calm this down, you're destroying the city, Credence."

He turned to her.

"But it hurts," he whispered, his emotions filling him up once again.

Persephone could never understand the anger and frustration that was held in Credence. He had been abused and hurt by so many people. Along with this was the fact that he was forced to hide his powerful magic. And it was emotions that fuels this dark magic. She could do nothing except try to calm him. 

She turned toward the mass, watching as Tina appears. Persephone did not know she was screaming until Credence pulled her close.

"I'm trying... to contain it," he said in a strained voice.

He was so hurt that he could only cause hurt in return. 

Then, flashes of white started to fly toward them. There were witches and wizards attacking them. The Obscurus was jerking and avoiding the spells until they suddenly flew up into the air and then straight down into a subway. 

They finally come to a halt but still continue to exist inside of the black entity that seened to be causing horrible damage to the city. Credence held Persephone close as he whimpered, sobbing. He was hurting so badly.

Persephone whispered sweet nothings to him, attempting to calm him down in order for Newt to be able to extract the Obscurus. She heard the familiar sound of someone apparating and she turns to the source of the sound. 

It was Newt.