12: Thin Line

Liandra shivered as the cold night air nipped her bare stomach and legs

Liandra shivered as the cold night air nipped her bare stomach and legs. She was the last one to come out of Jordynn's car because of the wariness that engulfed her entire being.

The drive was around forty-five minutes long, half of it spent on an unfamiliar dirt road surrounded by trees. She had never gone to this part of the town—the Southern Woods, many would call it—well, she never dared to. But who would've guessed that these tall trees have secrets of their own.

The faint sounds of EDM music, people's voices, revs of car engines and other unknown noises caught her attention as she faced the said 'secret' of the woods. Abraxas, the neon sign read with only the first A, X and S left lit up.

"Welcome," Jordynn started, stretching her arms wide open, "to the place where the words 'illegal' and 'rules' don't exist," she announced with a chuckle.

"This is Abraxas?," Rylie disbelievingly uttered as she stared at the imposing establishment.

Lian remembered it was her best friend who told her about this so-called 'Legend of the Southern Woods,' where the Greek god Abraxas was seen multiple times. She didn't believe it of course, they both didn't, who in their right mind would?

Abraxas was known to be a Greco-Roman god who was also a demon. He was the representation of this thin line between good and evil or to be precise, love and hate. A devil and a deity in one being. So yeah, whoever made that story up must be hallucinating or perhaps, just wanted the real Abraxas to be hidden by some kind of a folk tale. Turns out it was actually a place, not a being.

Though at least the storyteller was right when he said it is a representation of this thin line between good and evil, because no matter who you are, either you're good or bad, you'll get drawn into this place. You have no choice but to explore and enter this new world.

She was one example, an angel lured into the garden of Eden where temptation and sin was considered overrated.

"This was the old county capitol," Julia explained as they started following Jordynn, the noise getting louder with every step they took. "But it was kept as a secret up until this day because the construction of the establishment was never agreed upon by the former council. The Governor that time just built this on his own will with the citizens' taxes because he wanted a grander place to stay in."

"Why didn't they just agree to it? This can be one of Byeoljari's tourist spots if ever," Lian asked as she marveled at the building's Neo-classical façade.

"Because finishing the building meant clearing half of the Southern Woods. If they transfer the Capitol here, they need to develop an expressway too and it would affect the forest surrounding it." This time, she immediately understood; nature should always be considered first.

As they reached the rustic double-doors, Jordynn turned to them first, "call me Reigna, only Reigna." She pointedly said before pushing one door open and boy, was it loud. It was like they slipped into another dimension and as the doors closed again behind them;