Chapter Thirteen

8/10/17

I sat on Link's couch, a controller in my hand, playing through the intro of the newest open world Legends game.

The graphics were amazing, and I loved the small hints of music amidst the nature sounds.

In the game I wandered around, absent-mindedly picking up tree branches and apples. Absent-minded because I kept flicking my gaze back to Link instead of wholly focusing on the game.

You've wanted to play this for a year - no, like three years. So why aren't you paying attention??

I tightened my grip around the controller. Because he's distracting!

Forget him for a minute and focus on the game.

I grimaced. I don't think I want to forget him.

Come on, you're hopeless.

I looked over at him, and this time caught his eye.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing," I said with a smile.

"Nothing?"

I shrugged and turned my gaze back to the game. My eyes were focused on the screen, but my mind really wasn't. Was it just dumb luck that I met you? I asked silently. Everything that's happened. What I'm writing now... It all seems to be thanks to you. I'm feeling what I'm writing, and I've mostly forgotten the fear of not being good enough... It's...

I sighed. "... Hylia Roast."

Link started laughing. "What?"

"I say it because it occurred to me... If you hadn't had the right kind of coffee, I would never have chosen your shop."

He frowned. "Oh..." he said. "So without Hylia Roast... we never would have met."

I nodded. "Therefore, I'm glad you have in your shop." I glanced back to the game as different music started to play. "Ah, shoot."

I'd wandered into an enemy camp with only a few tree branches to my name.

And so I died.

"Crap," I said, then began to laugh. "Oh well, I suppose I'll have to get revenge later when I've got a better... weapon... " I trailed off as I stared at something on the floor, then barely held back a squeal of delight as I registered in the faint light what it was. "Link, you have a cat?!"

Link smiled. "Yeah, I do."

"Why didn't you say?"

"Didn't think of it." He frowned. "Wait, you're not allergic are you?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Well, actually I am, not terribly though. But I love cats! I've never been allowed to have a pet!"

"I'm glad you like them," he said, smiling. "But how do you know you like cats so much if you've never had one?"

"Urbosa has a cat named Naboris, and she is the cutest little ginger. She'll curl up in your lap and just-" I sighed and closed my eyes. "I love that cat."

Link smiled and then looked down at his bundle of fur. "...you get cuter every day," he said, so quietly I almost didn't hear. "Farore, come here," he called, patting the arm of the sofa.

The cat looked up at him and then twitched her tail.

"Hey, don't be a stranger," he said, beckoning.

Farore considered for a moment longer before stalking over and jumping up into his lap.

"Good kitty, thank you," he said, petting her down the back and under her chin.

The cat began to purr and my smile could not have been wider.

"She's so cute!"

"I know, all cats are."

"But she's especially darling," I insisted, reaching out my hand. Then hesitation took over and I glanced at Link as though to ask permission.

"She's fine with strangers, this cat fears nothing," Link said, grabbing my hand in his and guiding it down to Farore's back.

I had to remind myself to breathe as Link took my hand. It was such a casual touch, but that familiarity had more of an effect on me than the first time he'd touched my hand. Then my mind threw out all thoughts as my fingertips brushed the cat's fur. "Goddess, you're soft," I whispered. Then I smiled. "Your name is fitting, kitty."

Link smiled. "Thank you."

"For what?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Well, I named her."

I rolled my eyes as I scratched the little goddess under her chin. "Good job. But she's the one that earned it."

He rolled his eyes as well. "Can't just give it to me, can you?"

"That wouldn't be as fun."

"Depends on who you ask."

I ignored his comment as the cat left his lap and walked over to mine. "Oh my goooosh," I said, my voice filled with joy. "She's so cute!" I kept my squealing relatively quiet in fear that the cat might get annoyed and leave me.

Link leaned over to trail his hand down the kitty's back. "You like her better than me already, huh? Well... can't say I blame you," he said, then his hand dropped onto my arm. 

I smiled and shook my head. Is it really so normal now? It's barely been a few days.

You're... just tired... I told myself.

Farore meowed once, quietly, before tucking her paws underneath her cute fluffy body and curled her tail around her paws.

The little goddess was going to fall asleep right in my lap. Yeeeeessss. I ran a finger down her nose and then pet her once from her head to her tail.

I closed my eyes; I was so happy in this moment. "This is the best day..."

It's not real you know.

My eyes flicked open sharply. Yes, it is.

Ha, what makes you think that?

I scowled at my own brain. We may not be dating, but that doesn't mean I don't like him. And he likes me.

As a friend.

I pet the cat and tried to remain composed. It doesn't matter whether it's as a friend or anything more. He's a fantastic person. I don't need things to be just like this to be happy.

Still...

I really don't want this to end.