24- Burn

Mason's POV

     Colin's parents had not taken my call very well, in fact, they had hung up on me before I could fully introduce myself. Leaving me exactly where I had started, which suffice to say, was absolutely nowhere.

     Sighing, I raised my hand to knock on Chase's door. My back ached, my neck was kinked, my fingers were cramped, I was very, very uncomfortable and very very annoyed by the time he answered. Hair ruffled, freshly shaved, looking like a newly printed hundred dollar bill. I shoved him aside. "Well, nice to see you too," he joked. "I'm guessing it didn't go well?"

     "No. It did not."

     "So..we're on to plan B then?" He said, flopping down on the living room couch.

     "Yeah..." I replied, as I thrust the bundle of papers I had printed at him, "that's every catholic reform school within the Bible belt."

     Chase whistled, "Wow....that's...a lot. Do you really think we'll find him? Are you even sure you want to?" It was an honest question, and one I had debated a long time over.

     Running a hand through my hair; how long had it gotten? I began to reply, "It's not really about whether I want to find him or not, it's about what's right."

     "...and he would do the same for you, is that it?"

     I nodded. Whatever people may say about Colin, the fact is that somewhere inside of him is a good man. It takes a Hell of a lot to change from brutal monster, to someone deserving of the title "friend", but he had done it, and along the way, he had become much more than that. Who was he to me? I did not know. But I was going to bring him back home. That was a promise.

     "Alright then it's settled. We'll go to each place, and see which one our friend Colin is at."

     "We can't just ask to see him though..."

     "No," Chase concurred smiling, "but we can....on visiting day."

     "They have those?"

     "Of course they do! They always do," he paused, "don't they?"

     I couldn't help it, I laughed. Here was a guy who lived his life by movie scripts, who could quote every Die Hard movie, and reenact every scene from Rocky Horror, but who could not for the life of him, get his facts straight. One minute he'd be telling you all about this great new fruit they discovered in Indonesia, only to have it be a poisonous spider. He would hear one thing, take it, twist, and turn it into something entirely different. Among our friends this ability was known as "the power of assumption".

     "So how do you propose we see them all though? Given the time frame and locations..."

     "Ha! Do I have an answer for you," I quirked an eyebrow, "Our friends silly! They were all swept away by Colin's antics, so I'm sure they'll be eager to help." I stared at him, one eyebrow still raised, "Or...we can tell them that they are barbaric in their methods and that rescuing a reformed homophobic killer will make a great political platform."

     "That's better, much better." I added smiling, knowing that our friend group would love to be involved with something that went against the Church, or at least the part of it that called us disgusting heathens sent from Lucifer to taint the Godly. I'm really not the type to complain about things, and I'm not all that into human rights and protesting. Yes, I think the Church is wrong, and yes it pisses me off but as long as they don't hurt me personally and keep to themselves I am fine. Let them believe what they want. But, the thing is, they did hurt me. They are the reasons why people like Colin will choose murder as the lesser of two sins, and the reason why people like him will continue to get "not guilty" verdicts. It's an unjust world, and while I don't fight to change it, I won't dismiss a golden opportunity like this one, or deprive my more fanatical friends of the right to stick it to the man, as one may say. "Okay, so how about we start calling them up, see what we can do, and I'll find out when their visitations days are."