Chapter Three

"If I catch you doing it again I'm going to smash you." Becky shoved her hands on her hips and scowled, "Have you got that you little bitch?"

Rob turned his head to see Black Cat standing with her hands on her hips glaring into the face of a very frightened junior.

He heard the girl stammer, "Y...yes... I'm so...rry, sorry. Okay."

"I mean it. And you can tell that to your friends too." Becky lifted her hand and pointed. "Now piss off!"

She really was a cat. Rob grabbed his bag, slung it over his shoulder, and then picked up his hockey stick. He couldn't give a shit about Becky Bridgestone.

He headed out to the schoolyard. Hockey training was more important.

If she had hit the girl then maybe he'd have stepped in. She had left him alone today so hopefully she had got the message yesterday and he wouldn't have to deal with her again.

There had been something different with her. She hadn't looked as pretty. Not that he cared but she'd plastered her face with make-up. She certainly didn't need it and if anything, it had made her less attractive.

His old school, Chermside High, had a rule against it. Girls weren't allowed make-up or jewellery and colours in their hair was a definite no, no. Rob thought it was a fair rule since Chermside was a reputable school.

Kalara didn't seem to have many rules at all. As long as you wore a school shirt, they didn't care what shorts or shoes you chose. It was one of the things Rob liked about his new school.

His mother had wanted him to wear the senior formal uniform of long sleeved white shirt, grey tie and long grey pants. He said no and was glad he'd stuck to his guns on the first day because only one or two guys had worn it. His argument was that it was too hot to wear longs. They'd come to a compromise. He'd wear it Wednesdays because he had no sports, therefore, no training on Wednesdays.

"Hey." Rob stood with the team and nodded his head at some of the players he hadn't yet met.

Tim Creally, the coach, opened up his bag and rolled a bunch of balls onto the artificial turf. "All right fellas," he yelled above the chatter. "As you can see we have a new player." Tim directed his open palm toward Rob. "Everyone. This is Rob Jarvis. He's going to be taking the centre half position this year." He paused, and then added, "Some of you will know Rob already. Please make him welcome." Tim clapped his hands. "Ok grab a ball and let's get warmed up. Head around the field. Control is what I'm after. Keep the ball on your stick. Let's go."

By the end of the session, Rob was soaking with sweat. Coach Creally was tough. No wonder this team was so highly rated in the state. He incorporated physical fitness and ball skills. Running, dropping down, push-ups, and then up again with your stick and ball sprinting. Then back to skipping, hopping, and lunges, all to enhance balance. They repeated the routines over and over, with the last half hour working on strategic plays. Rob loved it.

"How'd you find it?" Greg patted him on the back.

"Yeah. Good. Tough."

"That's just the first practice." Greg laughed. "As the year goes on and we get fitter, it gets harder. He changes it each session, so don't get comfortable thinking it'll be the same every time. He even throws in some paperwork." Greg shook his head and chuckled some more. "Calls them brain teasers. Wants us thinking on our feet."

"Hey Dude. Well done."

Rob turned to see one of the inners holding his hand out towards him.

"Drew Morgan. Left inner."

Rob gripped his hand. "Rob Jarvis."

Drew jerked his head. "We might have a chance at the titles this year with you on the team." He smirked and added, "I competed against you last year. You create some great plays."

"Thanks." Rob grinned. "You're the prick who conned our cheer squad to chant Kalara's slogan in half time."

Drew laughed. "I only had to con one of them. She was cute. The others followed her." He jerked his head at the team. "Who's coming to Southgate?"

Multiple players replied with a positive.

"Are you coming, Rob?" Drew turned back to look at Rob. "We usually hang out for a bit after each practice. There's a café at the servo on the corner. They make pretty good burgers and shakes."

Rob glanced at Greg.

"I'm in." Greg lifted his backpack and hooked it over his shoulder. "Shauna and some of the girls meet up with us there." He grinned and wriggled his eyebrows. "Lizzy's gonna be there."

Shit. Had he made it that obvious? "Alright I'm in." Rob winked as he chuckled.

"You got the hots for Lizzy Tyson?" Drew smirked as he raised his eyebrows in question. "Lotta guys have got the hots for little Lizzy." He grinned, and then said, "Word of warning. She's turned down every offer." Drew nudged his head as he added, "Even mine."

Rob laughed some more. Drew was a good-looking guy. Tall, vivid green eyes and tousled fair hair. Maybe Lizzy wasn't into guys. Rob slapped him on the back. "Leave it up to me. I'm the king of plays. Remember?"

They roared with laughter and started to move off.

"Rob!" Coach Creally called him over.

"We'll catch you down at the café." Drew shifted his bag on his back and headed to the school gate with the others.

"Coach?"

"You went well today, Rob."

"Thanks. I really enjoyed it. Tough session." Rob grinned and picked up one of Coach Creally's bags. "Do you need a hand with this?"

"Yeah, mate that'd be great." Tim picked up his other rucksack. "Look, I wondered if you'd be interested in helping coach the junior team with Drew Morgan. I'm short of time this year. I thought the two of you could share it between you." He studied Rob's face. "I think you have a lot to offer, but no pressure." Tim smiled at Rob's puzzled expression. "I watched you play at the state titles last year. Not only do you have good skills, you're a great communicator. That combination makes you a perfect candidate for coaching."

Rob followed him across the field as they talked. He said, "Is Drew in?"

"Yeah. He's keen." Tim focused on Rob. "Drew also has the knack of conveying what he needs from the team without putting anyone off side. You're a back and he's a forward. It'd be a win, win for the kids."

"Okay." Rob nodded. "I'm happy to help but I work some afternoons and weekends at Bunnings Hardware. I asked for a transfer from Brisbane when I found out we were moving here. I'm starting on Sunday. What days do the juniors train?"

Tim screwed up his face. "Mondays and Wednesdays. Maybe it's too much. It is your senior year. Sounds like you've got a lot going on."

"If I'm sharing it with Drew I'd probably be able to fit it in." Rob thought some more. "Do they play on the weekends?"

"Saturdays. Seniors play on Friday nights under the lights."

Rob nodded and shifted the weight of the bags as he stepped through the gate. "Do they train here tomorrow?"

"Yes. It's their first session for the year. I'll be here with Drew if you've got the time to come and have a look." Tim smiled. "Then you can see what you think and let me know on Thursday." He dropped his bag near the boot of his car.

Rob put the other beside it. "Yeah. Okay. That sounds good." Rob raised his hand as he said, "See ya, coach."

"Yep." Tim gave him a nod. "By the way, my name's Tim."

"No worries. See you, Tim." Rob chuckled as he waved again.

He put his gear into his car and headed to meet the others.

I'd love it if you could hit the star and make a vote. ♥♥♥

THIS STORY HAS COPYRIGHT so please just read it and don't copy it cause I will find you. Ta.