Chapter 16

"We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

----  

Chapter Sixteen

It had been an odd week since Cassian had learned the truth of Faith's identity. Never in his wildest dreams could Cassian had ever have predicted Faith's tale.

Cassian had always known that there had been some underlying facts about herself that Faith had been concealing. Perhaps an unfortunate relationship with her parents, or her late husband's gambling debts, but never this.

Faith was really Anne Pendleton.

Anne was the wife of George Pendleton, the Earl of Runthorpe.

Lucy was truly a lady. She was Lady Lucy Pendleton. She was entitled to such riches and society. She would be a prize when it came time for her to marry.

The Earl, despite his wealth, was a barbarian. He had caused the death of Anne's first child, and his cruelty had led to Anne creating the ruse that had led her to Cassian.

But most of all, the Earl was alive.

Cassian could recall the story. What a story it had been at the time. It had been all over the newspapers: Countess Killed in Carriage Catastrophe. Of course, at the time, he had not made any connection with the story. The newspapers had been floating around the public houses Cassian frequented as he regained his strength after near starvation. But everybody had been talking about the dead Countess.

But she was not dead. The Countess was dusting Cassian's study.

Cassian sat back in his chair on the second of January, eighteen hundred and six, as he watched Faith flit about his study as she normally did. Lucy played on his study floor as she normally did.

Everything was normal. Except everything had changed.

Cassian felt such overwhelming anger and sympathy for Faith. She had endured an animal. Being wed to such a man must have been like eternal fire for her. It enraged Cassian that in the eyes of the law, Faith was powerless against such a tyrant. It enraged Cassian that nobody had protected Faith. Not her parents, not her brother and sister-in-law. Not anybody except for Mr Carne, and even he had been too late to save her son. Her Sky.

But here she was, pottering about her usual chores, seemingly peaceful. Faith had resumed the life she was accustomed to in Cassian's household. She had been such a wealthy, great lady, and here she was, in a black maid's uniform, wiping every surface in his study.

Cassian now fully understood why Faith did not appreciate material things. She had once been in possession of everything, and yet she had nothing. Faith now possessed everything she could have ever needed right here in this study.

And yes, Cassian did include himself in that equation. In his heart, he was Faith's, and she was his. It seemed so simple. Cassian could love Faith for the rest of his days. Cassian would happily step into the role of Lucy's father. He would ensure that she received the very best education, and the protective love of a father.

But it could never be. Faith could not be his. Anne was George Pendleton's. No matter how barbaric the possessive term seemed, it was true in the eyes of the law. Faith was another man's wife, and the truly selfish part of Cassian's heart loathed that fact.

Cassian felt such jealousy, disappointment and self-pity. And he hated every inch of himself for feeling that way.

Cassian had wanted to speak to Faith when he had returned home on Christmas Day. He wanted to seek the truth, and to properly discuss everything, as per his new friend Finn's advice.