¹² | e p i p h a n y

(n) a moment of sudden revelation

Days were becoming longer for Zane as he lay in bed, refusing to give in to death

Days were becoming longer for Zane as he lay in bed, refusing to give in to death. He knew Raneem would need him. She was strong, but she was not stupid to refuse help if she needed it. What frightened him was not her stupidity, but the likelihood of her pride refusing help. She had gotten to the point of storming out on him that coming back to him for help would be wounding to her pride. It was probably why she had yet to call on him no matter how bad things have become at her captial.

He felt fingers touch his wrist but he did not open his eyes. It was not as if their constant checks on him would change his state. He did not even bother to listen to their murmurings. Let them speculate that his peerless political standing was the root of it all. At least, Raneem would be safe from them.

"Prince Zane? Please open your eyes."

He sighed and forced his eyes open. Lucas looked down on him looking so concerned. The elf was more loyal than a hound taken care of since it was a pup. Zane did not know whether to be thankful for his zeal or to curse it – especially when he had almost robbed Raneem of her purity.

"My lord, I know exactly why you are like this. Do not do this to yourself. Forget her. She is not worth it."

He just smiled at his liege in pity. "I am afraid, you will never understand, Lucas. I have tried, but it is not that I cannot. It is that I will not. It is easy to convince oneself to forget another, but would it really be worth the exchange?"

Lucas shook his head. "Exchange of life for being rid of one woman, who could even be counted as your weakness, forever? I believe it is a fair exchange. More than fair. Treliron and its inhabitants need you. And the council, though they despise you, knows how valuable you are. As we speak, they have instituted a regent in your place, afraid that elfinkind might question your sudden deposition. You have so much power – you can change so many things! – why waste it on a human?"

Zane closed his eyes and held the elf's hand. He looked into his liege's eyes to give him the truth that his words would not be able to convey. "It is difficult to explain, Lucas. But have you ever wondered what the point is in living so long? In going through the battles of everyday life? To what end do we keep ourselves alive? Our long lives have cursed us. It is because of this we have become so bitter and numb with every gift this world has given us. Tell me, Lucas. Have you come to love anything in this world and live for the sake of it? Not just live for the sake of living, but to live for a goal."

Lucas bit his lip thoughtfully and shook his head after a while. "All I live for is for your safety."

"And if I die, will you?"

The younger elf shook his head. "I will continue living. Perhaps because I am afraid of death."

"As we all are." Zane nodded. "But what if you have been given to see the world in a new light? What if you have been given the chance to remove the pains of living for life's sake and live because you find joy in it? Would you take it, Lucas?" His liege nodded and he continued, "I have found that joy being with Raneem. It was not just the game of wills that had made life more exciting. It is seeing her with a smile on her face and the gift of hope that lies in her. Humans have a short life and there is much to learn from them in the matter of loving and enjoying life. I fear I will never learn it, but I do know that she is the reason I have found a purpose in life."