Chapter Fifteen

I sneaked out of the house in the dead of the night to my piggy bank. With my tiny torchlight, I made my way to the spot and carefully unearthed the hole. I removed the cover and shined my light into the plate. I was quite surprised at the number of rough folded notes inside. I smiled.

A cracking sound came on.

I felt someone was watching me. I switched off the light, and with the blurry rays of the moon, I looked around but saw nothing. I waited for some minutes to ensure I was all alone before switching on the light again.

I picked up two fifty naira notes from the safe and slid them into my pants. I then carefully placed the lid back and covered it with some sands and leaves, and then tiptoed back into the house. I quietly shut the door ensuring it made no sound. I tiptoed towards the staircase but on a second thought decided to hide the money underneath it, who knows?
I lifted some of my heaped dirty clothes and hid the money inside. I then arranged them exactly how they were. I turned to leave but my eye caught my biology text lying close to the heap. I remembered I had left it there two nights ago while hiding to study. I picked it up, dusted it with my hands and then began tiptoeing up the stairs.

"And where are you coming from?" I heard Mama ask. I was baffled.
"Downstairs" I replied almost immediately.
"To do what?" She asked in a more angry tone, I could easily discern she was suspicious of my movement, if not aware of my little act. I lost coherence on what to say. I suddenly remembered my biology text, and instantly lied.

"I went down to study"
"Really? Mama shot back. "You think I'm a fool,  don't you? "
"No ma! I'm telling the truth" I insisted.
This time I had studied her countenance and I was certain she wasn't on to my little act. She just wanted to scare me to a confession, so I became bold and confident.

"I wanted to study without any interruption" I further explained.
"Shut up! " Mama screamed. Her shout brought aunty Oby and her boyfriend out. Seconds later, Uncle Ugonna joined us.
"What is it again? This is just 1a.m, can't someone have peace?" he asked.
Aunt Oby was standing close to Mama with a curious face and folded arms.
"Let me ask again, where were you coming from? " Mama queried. I became afraid.

Was mama the noise I had heard earlier on?  Should I say the truth?
I didn't know what to do so I just kept mute. I needed to know whether Mama saw me or not, I won't just give up.

"Where were you coming from?" uncle asked me calmly.
"I already told mama. I was reading" I murmured.
"You heard her, or is there anything else? Uncle asked. I looked up at Mama, I was studying her countenance. She was nuts, her gaze fixed permanently on me.
"Why do I have a feeling that you did something bad?" Mama asked.
I heaved a sigh of relief. I was glad I didn't confess.

"She was just tiptoeing suspiciously and believe me my instincts never fail me!" she added. In a flash, aunt Oby dragged my ears and swirled me around. I let out a sad moan. Uncle intervened and released me from her grip. She stared angrily at me for sometime as I rubbed my sore ears. She pulled me closer and ran her hands on my body. I knew she was searching for something. I stood firm and made no move. Seconds later she was through and I was glad I had hid the money earlier.
"What were you doing downstairs?"She asked staring into my eyes
"I only went to study.....
"So you couldn't study up here?"She asked not believing my tale
"I didn't want to disturb anyone" I replied
"So you dance and clap while reading eh?" she shot back. I was mute.
"I told you this girl steals from me but you thought I was falsely accusing her" She said to mama. Uncle shook his head in disbelief and went back to his room.
"What book are you studying?"Aunty asked me.
"Biology" I replied picking up the text and handing it over. She sighed in anger.
"You might be lucky today but not tomorrow. Just know it that I'm watching you like a hawk." She said walking to her door. Mama was still standing there, her hands akimbo. I knew she never believed my fairy tale. It's either she saw me go outside or she was just trying to outsmart me. Which ever one it was, I was so glad it was coming to an end.

"Go to bed" she ordered
"But I haven't finished studying ma"
"Now!" she barked. I found myself in the room instantly. I didn't know I had wings. I lied down on my tiny foam and shut my eyes. My heart was still racing with fear, I wasn't yet sure if Mama saw me or not. My heart was positive she'd seen me and was only pretending to my aunt to prevent her from beating me. I was scared. If Mama had seen me earlier on, that means my little bank wasn't safe. She is so addicted to money and I was certain she will go dig it up secretly. I needed to keep my money safe. On the other hand, it wasn't safe for me either to go back there. Aunty would be watching me just like she promised. She wasn't going to ever let go. I was still wallowing in my thoughts when I suddenly realized Mama hasn't come in yet.

Where was she?

I sat up on the bed and listened to see if I could hear a sound but everywhere was quiet. Then it came to me,  My piggy bank!

I quietly opened the door and peeped outside. Everywhere was calm like a graveyard. Apparently Mama had gone out to dig up my safe for the money. I needed to know what she was up to so I slid through the door and began tiptoeing downstairs. I was still on the third step when I heard the door slammed shut and then bolted. I made a U-turn instantly and raced to the room. I lied down on my bed and feigned asleep. She walked into the room and sat down. I slightly opened my eyes to see what she was doing, but got no visual clarity. I just silently prayed for my piggy bank's safety.

It was my insurance policy!!!