Chapter Five

"Hey. How's it going?" Rob slid in close to Lizzy.

"Yeah. Good." She blushed and smiled up at him. "Greg says you went well at training."

"It was tough. I haven't done much over the off season. Because of moving towns I'm not very fit." Rob grinned. "I've got a lot of catching up to do."

"How did you go with the English homework last night?" Lizzy tittered.

Rob chuckled and ran his hand up the back of his head. "I couldn't believe she gave homework based on that lesson."

"I know...right..." Lizzy giggled again.

"Have you lived in Rockhampton all your life?" Rob cocked his head. The conversation wasn't flowing like he'd hoped it would. "Being a local would have given you a head start on the essay."

"I know...right..." Lizzy tittered again. She sucked on her straw and looked up at him from under her lashes.

A small furrow creased Rob's brow. He peered at her and thought, she's probably just really shy and didn't know how to answer him without being embarrassed. He gave her a smile and focused on the way her lips had hold of the straw. Fuck. Man. No. Way. Cuteness factor hit ten on the Richter scale. He had to look away. Next question. "Is your little brother going to practice tomorrow?"

"Yes..." She chortled. "At least I think he is."

Becky leaned over and whispered to Trin. "I need to go to the loo, can you let me out?" She was sick of listening to the banter going on at the next table. If she heard Lizzy giggle one more time, she thought she'd puke.

Trin gave Drew a shove. "Let us out will you. Becky needs the loo."

Drew needed the loo himself. He put his arm around Becky's shoulders as she stood and grinned down at her. "Come on. I'll go with you." As they walked off, he pulled her closer and whispered in her ear, "Maybe you can help me jerk off like Trin's gonna help Rob."

She jabbed him in the ribs with her elbow and laughed. "Do it yourself. You need the practice."

Drew grabbed his ribs and pretended it hurt. "But, Becky...I love you."

She laughed and gave him a shove. Drew lunged at her and slapped her on the butt. Becky squealed and jerked forward. He wrapped his arm over her shoulders again and nibbled her lobe. "Come on, Becky. Please..."

"No." She shoved him again and ran into the corridor, which led to the toilets. He ran after her and dug his fingers in her side. Their laughter echoed down the hall and into the café.

Lizzy caught Rob watching them. She said, "Drew and Becky have a thing."

"Really?" Rob frowned. He hadn't imagined Black Cat with a boyfriend. "So they're going out?"

"No," Lizzy giggled. "They just have a thing."

Rob didn't get it. Lizzy was cute but a bit vacant. He grinned. "What do you mean? A thing." He focused on her chocolate eyes willing her be a little more tuned into what he was asking.

Lizzy giggled again. Her face turned a shade of red. "You know. A thing. The thing." She put her hand to her mouth, stretched up so she could reach his ear and whispered, "Friends with benefits thing."

"Oh..." Rob didn't know what to say to that. For some reason his chest constricted. He smiled at Lizzy again. She was sweet, cute, though a little timid. He wondered if he should ask her to the movies. Maybe it was too soon. He'd wait. Get to know her a bit better because a girlfriend hadn't been on his agenda. When his father said they were moving to Rockhampton it had caused mixed feelings in Rob.

He made friends easily enough but had been happy at Chermside. On the up, Kalara's hockey team was top of the ladder. It was an unlucky break they hadn't won the state titles. Coach Creally had been part of the Olympic coaching squad and could have chosen any school in the country to teach at but for some reason he moved to the backwoods of Rockhampton and Kalara High. Rob was looking forward to training under him and after today's session, he understood why the team was so good. He looked at Lizzy again and said, "Be back in a minute. Need the toilet."

Rob stepped into the corridor leading to the gents. Drew had Becky up against the wall. She had her head hung. Drew was leaning in close stroking her face. Rob heard him say, "Don't let him bother you." Rob thought he'd better give them some warning so he cleared his throat. They both turned to look at him. Drew jerked his head in acknowledgement but Becky immediately looked away. Rob wondered if Drew's comment had something to do with him. She looked upset. Maybe his comment, or rather, the comment he was going to make had affected her.

He headed into the urinal but could still hear their murmured voices through the crack in the door.

As Rob stepped back into the corridor, Drew whispered, "How about you and I get out of here."

Becky quickly glanced up at Rob. She had definitely been crying. Surely, what he'd said couldn't have done that.

Drew ignored Rob and leaned in closer. He kissed her cheek, and then took her by the hand. "Come on." He smirked and gave Rob a wink as he said, "I'm off."

Rob grinned. "Yeah...can smell you from here, mate."

Drew chuckled and stepped into sync with Rob as he led Becky behind him. "How are things with Lizzy?"

"Not bad." Rob raised his eyebrows and nudged his head towards Becky's down turned face. "Better than how they're going with you I'd say."

Drew tweaked his eyebrow. "I wouldn't say that exactly."

"Right..." Rob nodded slowly. "Have fun." He headed back to the tables. A feeling of nausea swirled in his gut. What the fuck? He slid into his seat and sucked on his straw. The thick shake didn't taste as good so he pushed it aside and watched Drew wrap his arm around Becky's shoulders as they walked down the footpath.

"Are you okay?" Lizzy touched his forearm.

Rob smiled at her. "Yeah. Just ate too much. I might head home. You want a lift?"

"Thanks..." Lizzy beamed. "That'd be great." She giggled again. "I'll get you to drop me at my corner if that's okay."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Hi All, I hope you're enjoying the story so far. I've just realized you can share this link on Facebook. I'd really appreciate it if you would do that for me.

Don't forget to vote. :)