Chapter Nine

Bloody hell. Becky hung her head and watched Rob Jarvis set up the orange cones. Drew said he was coaching the junior boys. There had been no mention of Rob Jerky Jarvis.

She listened as Drew talked. Shit. Which group did Drew just say Rob was going to coach?

Could this day get any worse? She watched as Rob's eyes ran over the group of people gathered on the grandstand. Yep. There it was. Those fucking eyes trying to read her face. She wondered if he knew he did this. He'd done the same to Trin in the café when she'd tried to pretend she didn't know what his name was.

Becky watched him look at Lizzy. She sighed and hung her head. He was always looking at Lizzy. His eyes igniting like a sparkler.

Drew had said something but Becky missed it. She lifted her head to listen. Drew asked if there were any questions. A man indicated he wanted to say something. Becky watched Rob acknowledge him.

"So... are you buggers going to win the State Titles this year?"

She watched Rob chuckle. His eyes lit up his whole face. "Yes, sir we are."

Becky hung her head and grinned. He was so cocky. She bit her lip and looked back up.

The man laughed and held up his hands. "That's all I need to know. Carry on."

Rob was saying. "Okay guys. All of you who have played before can you go with Drew to the goal circle and you, new guys, I want over at the witch's hats." He clapped his hands. "Let's go."

Shit. Shit. Shit. He was definitely going to be coaching Linc's group. Becky sucked in a breath of air and closed her eyes. Just because he hates me, please let him be nice to Linc.

She watched her little brother struggle to walk across the field and felt a tinge of sadness in the back of her nose. She flicked away a tear. That little bitch and her bully friends had better watch themselves. If they ever gave Linc a hard time again, she was going to kick their butts.

Becky couldn't stop looking at Rob as he spoke to the group. They appeared so small as they looked up at him. He pointed his finger at a little fat red head. Becky recognised him as part of the group who she had caught teasing Linc. She felt tension in her chest and leaned forward to try and see better. The kid stepped toward Linc and shook his hand. Becky wondered what was happening. The other kids watched on, and then Linc was speaking. He smiled up at Rob when he finished. One of the boys gave Linc the thumbs up. Becky was so curious to what had happened.

She watched Rob organize the group with their sticks and balls. He took each kid aside and patiently showed them what to do. Another tingle ran up the bridge of her nose as she watched Rob take Linc aside, crouch down and talk to him. She could see Linc smiling shyly and hoped he didn't feel intimidated.

The physiotherapist said Linc needed to move his leg more to improve its strength. Drew had suggested hockey. Becky thought it was probably going to be too much. Linc hadn't been that keen but, she had encouraged him to have a go thinking Drew would be there to help him through it.

She bit on her lip as she watched Linc drop his head as he always did when he was awkward.

As the session continued, Becky could see Linc laughing with the red head. What the..? Linc hated that kid. Was scared of him. What had happened out there to cause the change? It had to be something Rob had said and to do with the kid shaking Linc's hand.

The boys moved toward the gate carrying an orange cone each. Becky saw Linc hand Rob a ball. Rob said something to Linc and patted him on the back.

Shit. The look on that kid's face was pure gold. A grin from ear to ear. Becky quickly wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. She climbed down the grandstand and met Linc at the gate.

Becky beamed down at him as she put her hand on his shoulder. "How'd it go?"

"Good. Real good. I want to be just like him, Becky."

Frowning, Becky silently prayed, please don't let him say Rob. "Who?" she asked.

"Like, Rob."

Fuck there it was. Becky just knew Linc was going to say Jerky Jarvis.

"He's nice and a good coach." Linc beamed. "He says we'll have my leg moving proper in no time."

Becky looked up. Shit he was right there staring at her with his awesome eyes. She slammed her lips together.

"Rob." Lizzy suddenly appeared beside him. "This is my little brother Jake."

Becky looked from him to Lizzy. Yep there he was looking at the blonde bimbo as if he'd just won the lotto. She heard his deep velvety voice say, "Hey, mate. How are you going? Good training session."

That was enough. Becky couldn't listen to anything more. She steered Linc toward the school buildings. "What was going on with that red headed kid, Linc? I saw you shaking his hand."

"Yeah." Linc's face lit up. "We're mates now. He called me a cripple but Rob set him straight. He respects me now. Rob said to be teammates you have to respect each other. And Rob said..."

Becky smiled as Linc prattled on. Rob Jarvis had worked some kind of magic on her brother. Her heart warmed. She looked over her shoulder to see Rob watching them. The smile wouldn't leave her face. Becky had a feeling Rob saw it but, she didn't care. Linc hadn't been this happy in a long time. Still smiling she looked back down at Linc. She'd missed some of what he was saying so focused on his next words.

"And Rob reckons we'll have my leg moving in no time."

"Wow...so you like him?"

"Yeah...he's the best." Linc frowned. "But I gotta get a hockey ball so I can practice before Monday. Do you reckon Dad will buy me a hockey ball, Becky?"

She beamed down at him. "I'll ask for you. It'll be okay."

"But, Bec..."

"Shh...I promise it'll be okay. We won't even have to ask Dad. I'll buy you one."

"Thanks, Becky. I can't wait until Monday."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Thanks so much for reading Black Cat. How do you think it's going?

I'd love to hear from you. Please vote and share the link with your friends.