10: The Investor

Despite his initial hesitation, Alex adapted quite well. Allac started with only a hand full of people that Alex personally hired to start the Galleria proposal to the City Council of New Haven. Once he got the land rights and contract with the City, Alex went straight to business mode and hired several more people. By the end of the year, the 10 people company became 100. 

Every once in a while, we would have lunch together so that he could update me with project progress. Each time, I could see his excitement and joy knowing that his project was becoming more real as the months continued on. On the other hand, I was impressed with quick progress and confirmed that Alexander Locke had been the true creator of The Galleria. While Joseph White had leaded the project successfully, there had been many controversial issues that rise from the project. With Alex lead, the project went smoothly – scarily so. Several months before the opening and there had been excitement from the public at the stunning grand mall – everyone had been happy with the new addition to the city. A week haven't gone pass after the grand opening, the City of New Haven contacted Allac for the expansion project. Before the end of the second year, Alex was able to fulfill our contract agreement. My Swiss account – of course – grew considerably.

It didn't surprise me one bit when other big name companies tried to buy Allac or recruit Alexander Locke. With the great success of The Galleria and many offers pouring in, it would be strange if no one tried to get Alex to their side. Even the great Lind Corp. have tried to recruit Alex. 

Sitting in the corner of my grandfather's office, I was doing some school work while eavesdropping on CEO, Mark Stanley, conversation with grandfather. It seems they had offered Alex quite the sum of money for Allac. When that failed, they tried to recruit him with a VP position. I tried not to laugh as the CEO appeared livid at Alex's refusal to meet with him. Apparently Alex didn't care to meet with Mark Stanley or James Lind. 

Glancing at my grandfather, I held back a smile as the old man had his usual unreadable poker face demeanor while his CEO vent his irritation. Soon after the Mark Stanley left grandfather's office, I found my grandfather's eyes on me.

"Where did you find Alexander Locke?"

I smirked while Vic almost dropped the cup while he was preparing the coffee. I was not surprised grandfather knew about my relationship with Alex. I didn't feel the need to pretend or hide either so I closed my laptop and gave him my full attention.

"He was a junior associate here at Lind Corp. I scooped him up after I witness one of your executive sexually harassing him" I laughed softly. "Sorry grandpa, but you should consider doing quality control on some of your perverted executives"

"Is that so..."

I knew my grandfather did not care for small fry in his dog-eat-dog company. If you're weak, he doesn't want you. If you're not an executive, he wouldn't care to hear about their stories. If you're not one of the VPs, you'll never have the chance to talk to him. If you're not the President, you'll never be a concern to him.

"What did you offer him to gain such loyalty?"

"I wouldn't call it loyalty. He's not a dog"

My grandfather made a noncommittal sound as he leaned back against his leather chair.

"W_ wait" Vic was still trying to catch up to our conversation. "Calla, you know Alexander Locke?"

I smiled while my grandfather sighed softly – disappointed that his usually capable right hand man was one step behind.

"I didn't think you would be this slow Victor" My grandfather lightly scold. "Where do you think the name Allac came from?"

Vic was confused until his eyes widened. He immediately turned to look at me.

"I suspect you're the only one who knows grandpa" I laughed softly.

"Child's play" My grandfather snorted as if nothing could get passed him.

"You mean word play" I countered. "I'm curious grandpa. How much did you offer?"

"For Allac, 350 million. For Alexander Locke, 34.8 million annually for 3 years"

I smiled hearing the accurate value. James Lind truly lives up to his name.

"He may reconsider if you offer him 104.4 million"

"That's a little extreme" Vic was surprised. "He make even more than the current President of Lind Corp."

Which begs the question if the current president, Mark Stanley, is willing to step down for the greenhorn – at least for 3 years.

"What you offered him is his current value. If you were to include the 3 year projection value of his projects, he's worth 3 times that. Lind Corp. will still profit none-the-less"

Vic was amazed by my foresight.

"Even if I offered him the President seat, he will not take it" My grandfather looked at me. "More importantly, he will not be able to handle the position"

That was an accurate statement. I shrugged since it's nothing I could do about it. Alex is his own person – anything that pertains to him should be decided by the man himself.

"Sell Allac to me"

I had to admire my grandfather's hardcore business mentality. He was a smart and ruthless business man. He knew what he wanted and is never afraid to do whatever it takes to get it. He was not a multi-billionaire for nothing.

"The Company belongs to Alex" Unfortunately for my grandfather, I had long gave full range of Allac to Alexander Locke. "You know well, grandpa, that I'm only the Investor"

"You can convince him"

I snorted out a laugh. I gave full control of the company over to Alex. The only thing important to me was the interest and profit I receive. I don't care how he runs it as long as I get the profits. That was the agreement from the beginning.

"That drama queen won't be convinced by anyone" I laughed softly. "But I will talk to him. I'm interested to hear why he turned down meeting with the great and powerful James Lind"

I teased my grandfather who just snorts indifferently at my joke. When I left his office, I pulled out my phone and text Alex to see if he was free for lunch.