20: Simple Creature

"Care to tell me why that man has not taken his eyes off you?"

Alex teased me when we were alone in the elevator.

"Who?" I acted ignorant.

"Eli Frye" Alex, of course, cut to the chase.

"Like everyone else in that room – he doesn't like getting advice from an 18 year old girl" I counter coolly.

"I don't think that's the reason for the staring"

"What else could it be?"

"Oh, I don't know" His grinned. "Because he likes you"

That made me laughs so hard that Alex became disgusted.

"Eli Frye is my sister's fiancé" I tried hard not to laugh. "That guy doesn't like me – trust me"

"Sister's fiancé?" 

Alex knew I have an older sister but doesn't know anything beyond that. I never spoke much about my family and the man never pried.

"But you like him"

"Up until I was 14 yes" I didn't bother to hide from Alexander Locke. "Look at him; I had no chance as a little girl"

"You don't hold the same feeling for him now?" 

I knew why he asked. Because I had stepped in and helped Aion – in which, returns help Eli Frye. When he knew I preferred to stay unknown, I had officially exposed myself to the business world by coming to the board meeting at Lind Corp. I was hoping to grow more into an adult before I made that move, but James Lind had forced me out.

"I would be lying if I said that Eli Frye doesn't affect me. He is after all my childhood crush"

"If you want, you can pursue him. From what I saw, he was clearly interested"

I just laughed.

"Is it hard to believe that someone is showing interest you?"

"No it's not hard to believe someone would be interested in me" I smirked at Alex. "I'm a great catch"

Alex smirked back.

"But Eli Frye is not interested in me" I clarified. "I don't know what you saw, but that cold man is not interested in anyone but my sister"

It doesn't mean when a guy looks at you, he's interested. I'm not naive as before and I won't make the same mistake in this lifetime. I learned my lesson and wasn't stupid to repeat that fatal mistake. If Alex knows what I've been through, he'll understand.

"And may I ask why you're so sure?" He mocked.

"Let me remind you that he is engage with my sister. They're childhood sweetheart. They've been together since we were kids"

"So what?" 

Alex was indifferent to my statement.

"So what? So it means he the one he loves is my sister"

"Don't be so naive. Being engaged doesn't mean love"

I laughed again.

"In this society, an engagement can be seen as a business transaction"

I understood that too.

"So not until he marries your sister - he's fair game"

"Are you listening to yourself?"

"What?" He looked at me with a smile. "You women always have to make things so complicated. Always over thinking things and missed your chance at getting what you want. Let me tell you, men are simple creature. If we want something, we will chase it"

I rolled my eyes.

"Are you not pursuing him because of your sister?"

"No" I answered him honestly.

My sister had nothing to do with my decision in regards to Eli Frye. In the past, that may have been the case but not anymore. My self-respect and pride now will not allow me to act out in such desperation.

"Are you scared?"

Scared of what? Of being rejected? I was already rejected in the past.

"No"

"Tell me"

It's rare that Alex show interest in my personal life so I indulged him.

"Why should I pursue him? Other than him being a childhood crush - what other reason for me to do so? I see no benefits for myself and I won't be ridicule by anyone"

I didn't care if I sounded cold - as if I'm discussing business deal instead of human relationships. I didn't care if I sounded arrogant when I swore to myself that I will treasure myself above all things. I won't demean myself worth for someone else anymore.

"Why should I chase after anyone?" I turned my attention back to the elevator monitor as it approaching the ground lobby. "You simple creature should be the one to do the chasing"

When elevator door opened up to the lobby and I walked out not noticing the pleased and proud smile on Alex's face.