35: Conditions and Favors

It's funny how in the past I did everything I could to be closer to Eli Frye only to go unnoticed. I would push to get within his circle of friends and go to places I knew he would be at – hoping to see him. I have shamelessly stalked Eli Frye like a crazed fan.

Now, all I want to do is stay far away from Eli Frye as much as possible. I have done everything to avoid him. That includes avoiding anyone who associates with Eli Frye.

But my luck never works that way.

School was the only solace in my chaotic schedule. For the time when I'm not at Allac or Aion, I'm able to live as a normal teenager – enjoying that simple life of a university student. The students in my department are all nice although they can act a little weird sometimes.

My time at the university had been peaceful until I find myself face to face with Ben Carter. I had forgotten that man was a law student at Yale. I wouldn't have cared so much if I didn't know his connection to Eli Frye.

What made it more uncomfortable is that I remembered Ben Carter had been the one who manipulated my feelings for Eli Frye in order to fund Aion. If Aion was not successfully funded by Lind Corp., in another 2 years, Ben Carter would get the fund through me.

It was when I was 20 - Ben Carter had used my infatuation with his best friend to trick me in to giving my father's company secrets. When my father company went bankrupt, Aion soaked up all of the benefits. I had been too mortified to confront Ben Carter. Instead, I choose the cowardice way out – ending my own life.

"It's nice to see you too" Ben chuckled at my sour expression.

I didn't bother to hide my frown since he had ruined my peace with the reminder of the bitter past.

"Join me for lunch, won't you Calla?"

I really didn't want to, but I knew he wanted to talk to me about Aion. That much hasn't changed. But I was curious as to what he wanted to talk about. Aion was currently progressing well. In two weeks, they will launch their campaign to the World. Depending on their presentation and performance, Aion will either break or make.

"Please"

He was pleading me the same way he did before. But behind that seemly honest smile, I knew there was a snake. Richard Starr had once told me lawyers are professional advocate hired to bend the law on behalf of their clients – therefore, unless the lawyer is working for you, never trust them. Ben Carter was someone I could never trust because his loyalty lies only on his friends and his company.

"You're paying"

I walked off knowing the man would follow.

"You're not seeing anyone at the moment right?"

The egg sandwich stopped at my mouth. After a split second, I went ahead and ate. Looking at him, I saw his teasing smile I knew he was playing and testing me.

"I'll take your silence as a no"

I didn't bother to respond. We both know I was not involved with anyone. Everyone in our high society world would know if I was seeing anyone because I was a Lind. In the world of the rich and powerful, it's difficult to have serious relationships with the opposite sex. We can date and play around but at the end of the day, you can only be involve with someone your family approves. You're constantly face with judgement from everyone if you see the "wrong" person. More importantly, you're constantly in this inner battle of trusting if the person is interested in you and not your name.

"What do you think of Eli?"

Instead of answering him, I took my time to finish my sandwich and drink.

"He's my sister, Rose's fiance" I finally answered while leaning back against the chair.

"That's all?" Ben gave a knowing smile.

"What else could there be?"

The guy laughed softly. Although I was annoyed, I pretended to be nonchalant about it. I waited to hear what he really wanted from this lunch.

"I was hoping to ask you a favor"

Of course he did.

"Come with us to New York"

"I'm not required to go" I said directly, let him know clearly that this conversation will be all business – nothing more.

"Which is why this is a favor"

"Why?" I asked.

"This presentation is important to us"

I know it was – but what does it have to do with me. Why does it matter if I go or not?

"We need to make sure it goes well"

"Again, I fail to see the reason for me to go."

I purposely reached for my phone and skim through it like I was bored.

"See it as being Aion's support"

I could see through his sly smiles. What he meant was Eli Frye's support? If it had been the old me, I would have happily go, believing that it would meant something to Eli if I was there to support him.

"You think too highly of me Mr. Carter" I said with my attention still on my phone.

He chuckled but I ignored it.

"Rose will be there. Don't you want to catch up with your sister?"

That was when I look up at him. I knew he was studying my response. He already knew my nonexistence within my family. The fact that I haven't seen or spoke to Rose since I was 14 was clear inclination that I was not close to her. Moreover, when he first met me, he was the one that said Rose never mentioned anything about me.

I didn't like how Ben Carter, once again, tried to manipulate my feelings to do what he needed from me. Unfortunately for him, I am no longer that foolish girl he can trick and use. I placed the phone back down on the table while giving him a cold smile.

"I will go in one condition"

"Anything"

"Careful Mr. Carter" I flashed my business smile that I learned from grandfather. "Agreeing to an unknown condition – you'll end up regretting it"

"What is your condition?" He was a law student - of all people, he would understand my words.

"You will owe me 3 favors" My smile grew sharper. "In the future, you'll have to do any request I asked"

"Isn't that much?" He chuckled. "I'm only asking for this one favor"

"I always collect a debt with interest"

"Then shouldn't it be 2 favors"

"I wouldn't try to bargain if I were you" I folded my arms across my chest.

With that, he laughed. Poor guy, he thinks I'm joking – worst, harmless. Little does he know what I have in store for him?

"As long as it's legal and is within my power"

"Of course" I smirked.

"Then I accept your conditions" He said with a smile.

I returned the smile – thinking how much fun I will have the next couple of days with my first "favor" from him.